Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Hoping to catch the ear of longdistancerider. I have a flat spot on acceleration about 1/2 throttle, it goes off a bit at full throttle and the bike gradually gets up to 130km per h. I have been through the carbs so many times I'm certain there are no issues there so I tried the stator check you suggested. My readings were 135.5 Ohms. 81.4 and 193.6 (although this last one was tricky as the reading kept jumping to 1 and I couldn't get a steady reading). So is this far enough off the specified amounts to be causing my trouble? If it is, is there anything I can do to fix it or make it better. It's not a terrible issue but I just hate not getting smooth power when I twist my wrist.
Thanks for any hints/help.
Geordie

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Yeah it's out of spec and it will affect the timing which can cause problems. First though if your carbs have the accel pump have you verified that the nozzles squirt when the throttle is twisted fast?
A few years ago when I was working at getting the advance curve so I could program the Ignitech ignition module I played with 3 stators and CDI's doing mix and match. All the stators were slightly out of spec. I ended up with one combination that actually gave me full advance but at 6K instead of 4500-5350 rpm.
I'd suggest first to use a timing light and check the advance vs rpm and see if you're even getting full advance or very close to it. If not I'd be inclined to say change the CDI 1st, recheck and maybe the stator will need rewind/replacement.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, new diaphragm in the accelerator pump and it squirts just fine. I'll get hold of a timing light and see what the advance is doing as compared to rpm (my tach is not too reliable either so that might be fun)
Thanks for the help.
Geordie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts