Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum.
So far all of my bikes have been from 1982 (3 different 1100's and a 550), but no Hondas, and nothing this old.
I have been trolling craigslist for a few months looking for a good deal and finally found one pop up. Guy was selling a 1971 CB350 that needed nothing but a headlight and a clutch cable. Photos were bad cell-phone pics, but I figured I'd check it out.
Apparently the original owner bought it, rode it 7,000 miles, and garaged it until another guy picked it up last year and restored it. Then he realized he was going to have to sink $400 into titling it, and decided to just unload it. The next owner bought it, titled it, and realized he had too many bikes.
Picked it up for $1000, with 7100 miles on the clock, in almost mint condition. Put on a new clutch cable and re-adjusted it and it's good to go.
How'd I do? I think I'm going to put some aftermarket (emgo?) mufflers on it because one of the baffles is pretty shot in the stock ones. Otherwise it's pretty clean...

Adam/ Dallas

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Welcome aboard Adam, there's plenty of 350 guys here to help you along the way :cool:

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome - I didn't realize (until after I bought it and started running some searches) just how popular it was, and how well it's held up!

First question, I guess, is - if I replace the stock exhaust with something like this:
http://www.customridefx.com/emgo-muffler-turn-out.html

Will I need to re-tune or re-jet or anything? I can't imagine they'll be worse than the rusty-innards in my current mufflers...

~A

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes. The motorcycle will probably run with those mufflers you found (like it does with the current muffles), but it will not run correctly. Decreased back pressure will probably throw off your low end power. Personally, I would go with an exhaust system that is more tune-able (ie. has removable baffles that you can wrap with some sort of packing material). The are much easier to modify. However, if you are going to do some modifications on the intake, you're going to need to tune the carbs anyway. Personally, I see a lot of 350's with after market mufflers, because the mufflers are one of the first things to go (some before the tires), and there are few after market mufflers that look like the originals. Because of this, I get all excited when I see a 350 that has original mufflers on it, and I'd be motivated to make them work. Again, IMO, I'd work on somehow making those mufflers work... see if you can take them apart and fab up some new internals. If not, you can find some relatively cheap dunstall or other type mufflers that bolt up easily and look good.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
slickware said:
Will I need to re-tune or re-jet or anything?
~A

Yes, on a 350 you most likely would have to mess with the carbs.
And those mufflers are loud........

Mac still makes complete exhaust (2-into-2) for 350/360/400-450SOHC, for less than $300.
New, shiny tip to tip, mount right up.........hmmm, a lot to be said for that.

Other than that, the Emgo Dunstalls or RoadHawks are a pretty period look on a 350. The Dunstalls are loud and require some finnaglin', from reports here. The RoadHawks are more quiet. Any aftermarket muffler will probably require messing with a 350's carbs, and there are sidestand/centerstand issues usually.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh perfect. My next question was going to be "How do I find an exhaust system that has similar backpressure as the stock one".

Because, I really don't want to mess with these carbs. They've already been cleaned and restored and are running great (minus the crap muffler with the ruined baffles). That MAC system looks awesome. I don't see a set that DOESN'T come with the header pipes though, and mine are in perfect shape so I wouldn't need 'em.
I guess I could always throw the pipes back up on ebay and recoup some costs...

I disengaged the electric starter button because apparently it was stuck in "always-on" position somehow (as soon as you turn the ignition on, the bike starts cranking like crazy).

This bike starts on the first kick, I can't believe it. And it's cold out!

Next question: if I replace the entire headlight assembly with an aftermarket one (i know, it's painted and original, but it's cracking and I don't feel like dealing with that crap plastic frame anymore) how difficult is it to re-wire that harness? I think most of the bike electrical runs through that headlight bucket. Can I hide it somewhere else if the aftermarket bucket doesn't have space? Am I going to run into serious voltage issues if I throw in a newer halogen bulb light?

~Adam in Dallas

·
Registered
234 Posts
Wiring from the handle bar switches and the wiring harness meet in the headlight bucket. Its all color coded, as long as it hasn't been tinkered with it should just require connecting the same colors (as long as you're not color challenged). A basic understanding of what each wire does help, but its not completely necessary. Relocating it may be difficult. If you take off the bulb, you'll see it actually takes up a lot of space, and you'd have to relocate all the connections, and you'd have to find all the correctly colored wires... aka... pain in the butt. I bet you can find a metal headlamp bucket that will work though as you can fudge a little on the width of the mounts. Then you can paint it black and it will look like a K4.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Also, be careful of a new bulb that demands more power. Charging system = achilles heel of 350's.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ughhhh looks like I'll be needing that new exhaust sooner than I thought.
Left muffler fell off in traffic today and got run over about a dozen times.
:x

1 - 12 of 12 Posts