Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello world!

My name is Ryan. I'm 23 years old, living in LA, and just bought my first bike: a 1974 Honda CB200. It might be one of the best looking bikes I've seen in the flesh. I bought the damn thing with only 4,700 miles on it!

Am I excited to ride? Yes. Am I excited to put some work into it? Absolutely. Do I have experience as a mechanic? None whatsoever. Does that matter? Of course not--I have the internet!

I've been lurking for a couple months now, but I'm glad to officially be part of the community. Also, my first series of repairs are coming up, so stay tuned.

Ryan

IMG_0476.JPG

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Reactions: Fashionable_plebe

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Congrats Ryan!! That is a great looking bike! You got one of the last survivors so take good care of it.

Reactions: Fashionable_plebe

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yes, very nice looking bike for the age and the low mileage is nice too. Yes you have the internet but, more importantly, you have Honda Twins to get info from. There are many videos out there that "instruct" you on how to do certain things, but unless someone here confirms anything you've seen, take it (as your grandparents used to say) "with a grain of salt" - as well as any aftermarket manuals like Clymer. Get a Factory Service Manual (FSM), the info will be accurate unlike the many others out there that can mislead. Lots of people here who have the 175/200 models so you'll get the help you'll need.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome, Sweet bike!

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
She is a beauty! Tell us a bit about her?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, very nice looking bike for the age and the low mileage is nice too. Yes you have the internet but, more importantly, you have Honda Twins to get info from. There are many videos out there that "instruct" you on how to do certain things, but unless someone here confirms anything you've seen, take it (as your grandparents used to say) "with a grain of salt" - as well as any aftermarket manuals like Clymer. Get a Factory Service Manual (FSM), the info will be accurate unlike the many others out there that can mislead. Lots of people here who have the 175/200 models so you'll get the help you'll need.
Yep, the Clymer is helpful, but I'm already thinking about printing off the FSM at the office.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She is a beauty! Tell us a bit about her?
She's completely stock, and purrs like a sewing machine. So far my only complaints are some faulty starter clutch springs that will have to be replaced(new thread comin soon), and also I have little to no idea how to tune the carb jets. For whatever reason, she only runs with the choke on--I already cleaned out the jets and now just need to get them tuned properly. I'm hoping that once they're tuned properly I won't run into that issue again, but if I do it sounds like I'll need to take out the carbs give them a complete cleaning.

While I'm taking a look at the starter clutch, I'm inclined to break out the multimeter and see how the stator is holding up as well. The previous owner popped in a brand new battery, and I had to walk it home the other day after the thing died in the middle of a ride.

Other than that, smooth sailing! haha

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Requiring the choke on to run means the carbs are still gummed up somewhere... the passages in smaller engine's carbs are pretty small and it doesn't take much to clog them. As for the stator, it's more likely that the rectifier or regulator or both are at fault for your charging problem. Know that the older Honda twins don't charge much, if at all, when running low speeds or idling. You'll have better luck in the long run by replacing the pair with a combined unit from Rick's or Oregon Cycle or someone else who makes a replacement combo unit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts