Honda Twins banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Go to link and see post #3

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/62...m-chain-tensioner-unoffical-manual-450-s.html

I did loosen that cam chain tensioner nut while the bike was running, rattling got louder, waited, and tightened the bolt again and rattling persists. So maybe it is the the counter balance chain? The old man thinks it's a worn out tensioner or chain/cam chain sprocket.

Here's a video with the engine running:

Rattling definitely coming from the cylinder/cam chain tensioner bolt area.

·
Premium Member
23,895 Posts
srahome, yeah start a thread over in the SOHC Engine section
jontom88, very unlikely that the cam gear or chain is worn out due to the actual design of them. Most likely is the tensioner is sticking instead of freely sliding when you loosened the nut. Follow the suggested topic to fix that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Mode of transport Car

Automotive lighting Vehicle Light Headlamp Scooter

several months later...needs a proper paint job, but I'm loving the look especially from the taillight angle. I know the stock enthusiasts are cringing right now but I couldn't get the tracker look out of my head. I'm considering swapping tanks...cb400 tank seems to be a popular tank for this bike...open to suggestions/words of caution

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Glad to hear your are enjoying your bike. Don't be afraid to express yourself and do what you want with it.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Well it is your bike so do with it what you will as long as it makes you happy.

Remember, one man's gold may be another's trash and vice versa

·
Registered
1 Posts
1984 Honda Nighthawk 450
Just got a 1984 Honda Nighthawk 450 and t I need a set of carburetors for, anyony know where I can get a set or would there be a replacement from other bikes that I could used. I found a few but they don't have the vacuum connection on the carburetor.
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
23,895 Posts
1984 Honda Nighthawk 450
Just got a 1984 Honda Nighthawk 450 and t I need a set of carburetors for, anyony know where I can get a set or would there be a replacement from other bikes that I could used. I found a few but they don't have the vacuum connection on the carburetor.
[email protected]
1984 model means you're in Canada or Europe, no US model that year. Needing vacuum fitted carbs also means you have the VB2 single main jet carbs. Those were found on the 1986 and some 1985 CB450SC US models. If it's important that you have those specific carbs that's what you'll be looking for. The only reason I can think of would be if you have some sort of state/country inspection that requires original carbs w/emissions. Most people have removed the charcoal canister emission system.
If you want to eliminate that system you can use any of the VB21 or VB22 carbs found on manual transmission CB/CM 400/450 models. Not the A model carbs. You would also need to change the vacuum operated petcock.

·
Registered
9,706 Posts
View attachment 68458

View attachment 68459

several months later...needs a proper paint job, but I'm loving the look especially from the taillight angle. I know the stock enthusiasts are cringing right now but I couldn't get the tracker look out of my head. I'm considering swapping tanks...cb400 tank seems to be a popular tank for this bike...open to suggestions/words of caution
I like the stock bike, but you have done a tasteful slant on it. I like it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My '85 CB450SC NightHawk is virtually identical to yours. I agree as others have said: leave it stock and enjoy it as it is. When you start changing things, you run the risk of throwing off the balance Honda built into these bikes. Unless you are an experienced mechanic/engineer, don't mess with it.
It looks great!

·
Registered
228 Posts
When you set you valves, with the valve cover off and timing cover off, press lightly on the top of the tensioner with the locknut loose and rock the engine back and forth just a bit at the flywheel till you feel the tensioner go down a bit, don't push hard, just very lightly and tighten the locknut. Should still make a slight tic tic but will be much quieter.

The tensioner is fine, but the sprngs that activate them are weak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
[QUOTE=".... Here's a picture of mine.
View attachment 57037
[/QUOTE]

i registered for this site after i have long searched for where this picture of motorcycle i found on the internet came from.
i believe that, to me, it is the most beautiful motorcycle i have ever seen.
congratulations!
i would like to make one like it... what color code does it have?
it is beautiful !

21 - 31 of 31 Posts