Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 72 CL350 getting a fresh stock rebuild. I now have everything needed except a new cam chain and tensioner. My bike is mainly going to be a 3 season daily whenever the weather allows it, averaging 65 MPH or less and estimated 5000 miles a year. I'll probably do a quick pull to redline or play with it off road every once in a while, but 90 percent of the time will just be commuting.

My question is this: What are you guys and ladies personally using in your CB/CL/SL 350 bikes? How long/many miles have you used it, and is yours a street or race bike? I do see a couple of people say it depends of the type of riding, but doesn't say which one is best for which riding style. That's why I mentioned the bike's purpose above.

I looked around a lot and can't decide between the KA slipper or a steel roller. I know theoretically, the KA slipper should be bullet proof since there's almost no moving parts. But is it really that good, or just internet hype? I can't find anyone saying "I daily this setup and 10k miles no issues" or anything along those lines. There's also a decent amount of people saying the chain is too tight or it broke too easily, which is scaring me away.

I'm personally leaning towards a steel roller set up, since it's basically a stock set up, except with stronger parts. I can't find much info on this though. The only downsides to this I can think of are that it's likely going to be noisier, which isn't a big deal at all, as long as it doesn't sound like the engine's going to blow up with it. The other thing is that I'll need to find someone that can make one with good precision. I'm assuming any replacement chain will work with this.

Am I overthinking this? I just want to build the bike reliably and don't want to see it taking up space any longer. Thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
MPO is that the KA slipper is a nice little upgrade with some downfalls. The stock set up is good but has a time limit shorter than the KA slipper. The KA part requires a flat sided chain to properly work, so keep that in mind. I've read that the Camellia flat sided is being discontinued somewhere in my research but you may want to check that fact. Some ppl have had trouble during install due to the fact the chain is so tight. Ppl have had to mod their cam sprockets by removing the rubber on the side to allow it to sit lower on the teeth to eliminate noise. I personally installed one and did not do this nor have I ran the engine yet so I cannot comment on that.

For me I just came to the conclusion that the KA slipper was an overall better mechanism than the stock set up. There was some more expense and work involved though. If you're more comfortable with stock parts, stick with the rollers. If you can handle doing some slight mods go with the KA set up. I personally feel like the KA unit will outlast the stock set up. But again, theres more work/expense involved.

Just make a pros and cons list and go for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping to get more replies, but I went ahead and ordered the KA tensioner last week. Appears to be well made, I'll comment on the reliability after it's ridden for a while. Unfortunately I found out my cylinders have too much taper so now I need to overbore it, meaning even more down time... At least this gives me an excuse to upgrade to Wiseco pistons, since I'm forced to spend extra money anyways!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts