Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All

Pretty new to this forum - and I cannot thank people enough for the help and advice over in the Engine section.

Anyway, this project is already a little over two years old, so a lot has already happened, and I'm not the greatest at keeping logs / photos of progress....I'll try to get better.

A couple of pictures to start off, a kind of where we started from (ebay purchase of a clapped out, none running bike) to where we now (a much prettier, not so clapped out, but still none running bike).

Before (sellers garage):

CB350.JPG

After:

DSCF0774.jpg

In my next post, I'll try and list all the things completed to-date, and list all the things that are still left to do (and there are always more than you think....and it'll always costs more than you think)

Jonathan

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
(and there always more than you think....and it'll always costs more than you think)
Amen to that. I can certainly understand when life and family happens... looking forward to seeing more of your good work though. Unless you're building the engine for higher performance, I'm curious as to why you went with needle bearings on the cam - it's a pricey modification and the stock aluminum bearing caps are pretty reliable on the 350s under normal conditions

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Tom

When I opened the engine up things were not pretty - rockers were pitted and blued, cam damaged, bearing caps wrecked. All looked to have been caused by oil starvation to the top end, so I figured as I needed to replace them, and all the ones I could see for sale seem far from perfect I'd upgrade to the roller bearings. Machine the cam was a cheap £10 - I have a great neighbor a few doors from who has a few contacts.

Pistons were shot as well.

As you know though from the Engine section there is a few unexpected complications.

Jonathan

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Well, for that price I can understand doing it. The previous condition was likely caused by poor maintenance, these things survive race conditions built the way they are from the factory as long as the oil passages are clean and good maintenance is done. Hope you get your cam situation taken care of

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tom

I think my cam / rocker situation is sorted. Measuring the two cams I'm now pretty sure I have a fat cam profile on a skinny blank installed - maybe this is just an oddity of the cam being from an Italian Police bike (I don't know). So, just need to replace the 312 rockers with 286 ones, and I purchased a NOS set last night....downside is that they'll probably be a couple of weeks in transit, and maybe more if UK Customs get involved.

However, there is still lots other things to do and buy.

Jonathan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts