Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry I broke the rules so here is my story.

Back in 1994 or so when I was 15 I purchased a 1973 CL 350 as my first vehicle. I remember learning to ride it on the sidewalks going down curbs, and around the yard. I dunno I was 15 with 0 supervision. I had landed a job a McDonalds when you could work at that age back then so thats how I got it.

I remember painstakingly restoring the chrome. The paint and seat were in bad shape. I did a very crappy job re upholstering the seat, but it was functional and the seat no longer socked up water.

I rode the bike both summer and winter. I was the only one who rode a motorcycle to highschool. I was made fun of and people would vandalize my bike.
My friends rode on the back, we went everywhere. I was the first one with a vehicle.

When I turned 16 decided to get my license. I failed the first test because I wasnt using my front brake as it didnt work very well. I was unable to stop between two lines with the rear brake along. So fixed that and passed the second time.

Long story short, somehow through 4 years in the military I kept the bike. I let my brother borrow it back in 2000 or so he beat it up so she needs some love. thats why I am here.

Last summer at age 40 I walked into a motorcycle store and a fire started back up in my heart. I fixed up my old xj600 that had been sitting to get practice to restore this bike.
Then went on to buy an R3, xsr900, and a wr250r. My wife got her license and rides the R3.

I sold off the xj600 and then decided this winter its the cl350s turn.

The bike is dear to me since I have owned it 25 years. My friends have been at that bike, my bratty brother, my wife (girlfriend at the time) rode it a bit back in 2003 or so.

I have some anxiety over this bike as I want to fix it up right so you may see me being a bit over zealous on my plans. Members already talking me back down which is good.

Pics as of 12/25/2018

20181225_125851.jpg 20181225_125806.jpg 20181225_130558.jpg 20181225_125818.jpg 20181225_125824.jpg 20181227_214546.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the group, even though I do have a problem getting my head wrapped around the idea that 1994 was "way back then". Now if we were talking 1964:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:..........

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Great introduction, fabulous story! It’s really cool you’ve held onto it all these years. I brought one back to life in the late 90’s, rode it for a short period and then traded it away. I always wanted it back. It’s one of the main reasons I’m obsessed with these bikes today. Given the history you have with that bike you totally owe it some TLC. With all that you said the bike actually looks to be in good condition. It’s missing some of the original parts but that exhaust looks great which is a big deal for those bikes. Good luck, you are in the right place as you tackle the project.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great introduction, fabulous story! It’s really cool you’ve held onto it all these years. I brought one back to life in the late 90’s, rode it for a short period and then traded it away. I always wanted it back. It’s one of the main reasons I’m obsessed with these bikes today. Given the history you have with that bike you totally owe it some TLC. With all that you said the bike actually looks to be in good condition. It’s missing some of the original parts but that exhaust looks great which is a big deal for those bikes. Good luck, you are in the right place as you tackle the project.
I do have the covers and badges, need to get a left control unit and a bottom exhaust cover! Thanks, nice to meet you.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Definitely a great story, how it survived your brother, haters vandalizing and a future wife undoubtedly riding it early in her experience. Good stuff... and BTW, you didn't break the rules, you just needed to know the local protocols. Best part is you didn't get attitude when asked to do what will only help you in the long run. Also, your location is helpful in the event something big comes up and you might be near another member who can actually come by in person to help - it happens more here than you might think. Make friends here and you'll get all that you need, many times including good used parts at better prices and usually in better condition than you'll find on eBay - that's the reason we like to get to know you. And your story is one we can all relate to... well, except for the part about how long ago '94 was :lol:

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
I do have the covers and badges, need to get a left control unit and a bottom exhaust cover! Thanks, nice to meet you.
I may have a bottom exhaust cover. I’ll have to check my parts stash. Not sure what you refer to as a “left control unit”.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes left control unit = left handle bar switch unit, I put a generic one on when I first got the bike as the switches were toast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts