Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I posted the other day about a knocking sound in my engine. I had posted that maybe the sound was not an issue but after listening closer for longer I think it might need attention. Save that for this Winter.

Anyway so here's the issue I'm seeing now: I can pull out smoothly from a complete stop it seems while the engine is still warming up. But after about 5 minutes of riding, when I slowly let out the clutch to take off no matter how smooth I am it feels like once the clutch is halfway out it just dumps all at once. I've tried to do it quicker. And tried to pull out painfully slowly and smoothly but she still jerks at about the "clutch halfway out" point.

It feels a lot like a chain jumping a tooth. Which at first I thought it was the chain. But if it was the chain I think it would really be doing this all the time regardless. So now I'm wondering about the 1st gear or tranny issue.

If anyone has any insight on this type of symptom please help! I searched maniacly for the symptoms on google and found a post on a buell forum that sound very similar and it was a clutch spring of some sort.

I really want to get this bike to reliable condition. So far after owning it 3 weeks, I fear it's in need of a top end rebuild and now this potential issue with the 1st gear. I hope I can get it all sorted out.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
You might try starting out in 2nd gear, maybe someplace on a bit of a downhill slope so it rolls away easily. This might at least eliminate the transmission as the problem.

I believe some types of oil with friction reducers can cause issues with the clutch. You might try a search of the forum as there have been several discussions regarding what oil folks are using.

Otherwise it could take some wrenching.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am positive that the oil I used is supposedly we clutch safe. It's the Valvoline "4 stroke motorcycle oil". I've used in the past on other bikes so I would suspect it is good.

I would kind of think if a clutch were having issues that they would be with slipping instead of with grabbing randomly. I do have a set of clutch fibers and a gasket on the shelf in my garage. I was not going to install them unless the clutch was slipping but maybe I should get in there now. But I'm not sure what to look for really.

Has anyone ever had a worn out chain cause the described symptoms?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
A bad (kinked or really worn) chain will "feel" like that....................

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
66Sprint said:
A bad (kinked or really worn) chain will "feel" like that....................
I think that may be my case as I said in my "knocking" thread, I've got a new chain on the way so I'll see if that fixes it soon.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Are the rubbers in the cush drive shot?
Can you move the rear sprocket without the wheel moving?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bike-Mart said:
Are the rubbers in the cush drive shot?
Can you move the rear sprocket without the wheel moving?
The cush drive seems fine, though I haven't had the rear wheel off yet, I cannot move the sprocket without moving the wheel. I'll examine it more closely when I remove the wheel for new tires soon.

Thanks for the ideas. My new chain will be here tomorrow (supposedly). So I can rule that out once it is on. I can only drive minimal distances though, until I have found out what in the engine is actually knocking right now. This may be a pretty extensive winter project I've got on my hands here.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm interested to see how this pans out because my 360 does this as well...

·
Registered
208 Posts
My kind of does what you are describing. The clutch can be adjusted on the left front sprocket cover. This is what i have been playing with, and it may be where your problem lies. The adjustment procedure should be in any generic service manual. Its tough to get right. just my HO.
Godspeed
-Dan from NJ

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NOS351WCM said:
My kind of does what you are describing. The clutch can be adjusted on the left front sprocket cover. This is what i have been playing with, and it may be where your problem lies. The adjustment procedure should be in any generic service manual. Its tough to get right. just my HO.
Godspeed
-Dan from NJ

I was wanting to try this adjustment once I get a chance to. Thanks for that idea.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The shop FINALLY got my chain in yesterday. They had some issue with EK. Anyway just to update my situation: The new chain DOES NOT fix the jerking while easing the clutch out to take off. Even when I try as hard as I can to be ridiculously smooth is still feels like it catches all at once at 3/4's of the way out. I didn't get to play with the adjustment on the engine case but plan to do that next. I've never touched it and that may be the ticket.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I finally got around to really spending some time with the clutch cable adjustments both at the lever and at the case. No matter what I did the jerk was still just the same so I'm saying it's not the clutch adjustment.

Also, it does the jerk when taking off from a stop when I just almost have the clutch let all the way out whether I start out in first gear OR second gear. So in my thinking, this is not an internal tranny issue (I think, anyway).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It's the strangest most pestering feeling that no matter how smooth I try to pull out, it feels like I dump the clutch the final 1/4 of its release.

So I have new chain and sprockets and a properly adjusted clutch cable that is well lubed and the clutch doesn't slip or seem worn out or anything. I'm at a loss.

Oh yeah, I also checked for loose spokes and am really just grasping at straws at this point.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Adjusting the cable and adjusting the clutch are NOT necessarily the same thing.... It sounds like you need to adjust the clutch lifter mechanism at the L/R side cover...Then re-adjust the cable...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
66Sprint said:
Adjusting the cable and adjusting the clutch are NOT necessarily the same thing.... It sounds like you need to adjust the clutch lifter mechanism at the L/R side cover...Then re-adjust the cable...
Are you talking about the locknut with the flathead adjustment screw on the left rear engine side cover? If so, that is the adjustment I've been experimenting with. It changes the cable slack. Of course I'm sure you knew that and I'm just not aware of the clutch lifter adjuster on the left rear engine side cover, lol. Please clue me in. Thanks for the help!

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Cable slack is a by-product of the adjustment....It must be set correctly for angle and the pushrod tension , then adjust the cable......

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
66Sprint said:
Cable slack is a by-product of the adjustment....It must be set correctly for angle and the pushrod tension , then adjust the cable......

After checking the procedure in my owners manual, I think that I didn't do the adjustment correctly. I was only paying attention to cable slack. I see that I'm supposed to loosen the cable, THEN adjust the flathead/locknut on the side cover to where there is slight resistance, then back it of a 1/4 turn. Then after all that use the cable locknut/adjuster to compensate for any slack. Does this sound correct?

Hopefully this will give me a better outcome than simply making sure there's minimal slack in the cable which is all I did so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you checked for worn (compressed) clutch springs? Seems like that could be the cause of exactly what you are describing.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
My bike did the same and I ended up replacing the clutch plates and the springs. No issues now...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the reply. That's good to hear since I was planning to change the plates and springs and already have the new parts. I'll post the results once I get around to doing the job.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts