Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been too cold lately but I finally got everything taken apart and liberated the frame from the engine. Got a new (used) tank that I bought from ebay to replace the original where a previous owner tried to repair rust holes with JB Weld. Let the cleaning begin.

Current status.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The CB 400 A is a great ladies bike . If you need a little help here and there just ask.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I'm getting ready to start cleaning up and replacing gaskets and seals in the motor. It leaks oil like a sieve on the stator side.

·
Super Moderator
23,155 Posts
Good start. Fresh tank and rear wheel so far needed.
The crank seal and starter pinion O-ring are the possible sources for the left side oil leak. Both require engine disassembly.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Another on the counter shaft. LDR is right you will have to strip the motor. You should go ahead and buy a seal set and a gasket set.When you take the oil cooler off try to protect the two o-rings. One will be in the gasket set one wont. Dont take the end off the oil cooler unless you have too.That o-ring is the one that doesnt come in the kit and is hard to find. When you split the cases there is an o-ring shaped like an 8 . Try to clean it and save it for reuse . They are very rare and hard to find. I see the change switch has been removed . Dont loose the alum washer that was on the switch. Its one mm thick and sets the distance between the shift cam and the change switch.If you dont have one you will need the 400 T manual with the A supplement Have fun.

Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good start. Fresh tank and rear wheel so far needed.
The crank seal and starter pinion O-ring are the possible sources for the left side oil leak. Both require engine disassembly.
I replaced the tank already. Found one on ebay that was really clean inside and very solid. A few minor dings here and there but nothing some spot putty won't fix.

Where can I find a factory service manual?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another on the counter shaft. LDR is right you will have to strip the motor. You should go ahead and buy a seal set and a gasket set.When you take the oil cooler off try to protect the two o-rings. One will be in the gasket set one wont. Dont take the end off the oil cooler unless you have too.That o-ring is the one that doesnt come in the kit and is hard to find. When you split the cases there is an o-ring shaped like an 8 . Try to clean it and save it for reuse . They are very rare and hard to find. I see the change switch has been removed . Dont loose the alum washer that was on the switch. Its one mm thick and sets the distance between the shift cam and the change switch.If you dont have one you will need the 400 T manual with the A supplement Have fun.

Bill
Thanks for the tips Bill. I don't have either of the manuals yet.The change switch that came with it was damaged but I found a wiring harness on ebay that had an intact and functional change switch attached. I just need to make a boot for it. I saved the washer from the old switch since the one I bought didn't have one. I have a gasket and seal kit on the way. Let the fun begin.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I am glad you found a good change switch. Last time I needed one it took 3 months and dozens of contacts to find one. Sounds like your getting a good start.

Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am glad you found a good change switch. Last time I needed one it took 3 months and dozens of contacts to find one. Sounds like your getting a good start.

Bill
Bill,

Is there anything that holds the kick starter shaft in place other than the side cover? After I removed the side cover and the torque converter, I wiggled the kick starter shaft and it pulled out. Not completely out, there's something keeping it from pulling all the way out but I didn't know if it was supposed to be that way.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You will need the FSM . The 400 As have a system on them that wont allow the kick start to work if the bike is in gear You have to take off the other cover. and remove the gear shift shaft and the other parts to take the shaft out..There are a couple of small springs to watch for . If you dont have the FSM yet take photos before removing any thing. On the Idle gear shaft next to the starter gear there is a spring like keeper kinda like a snap ring but wraps around the shaft a couple times. Hard to explain but you will find it.I use a pick ,like a dental pick to start it then gently unwind it.
On the end of the kick start shaft there is a flat washer be sure it comes out with the shaft unless you are doing a full take down then it wont matter just be sure you put back on the shaft so you know where it goes.
Anything else just ask.

Bill

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
23,155 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You will need the FSM . The 400 As have a system on them that wont allow the kick start to work if the bike is in gear You have to take off the other cover. and remove the gear shift shaft and the other parts to take the shaft out..There are a couple of small springs to watch for . If you dont have the FSM yet take photos before removing any thing. On the Idle gear shaft next to the starter gear there is a spring like keeper kinda like a snap ring but wraps around the shaft a couple times. Hard to explain but you will find it.I use a pick ,like a dental pick to start it then gently unwind it.
On the end of the kick start shaft there is a flat washer be sure it comes out with the shaft unless you are doing a full take down then it wont matter just be sure you put back on the shaft so you know where it goes.
Anything else just ask.

Bill
I noticed the FSM supplement said there was a thrust washer on the end of the shaft that goes inside the engine. Is it just on there loosely or is it friction fit? I still haven't pulled it out completely yet. I'm waiting on the gasket set to arrive.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Its loose and will fall off and stay in the lower case witch makes it a pain if your not tearing down the whole motor.:)

Bill

1 - 20 of 20 Posts