Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NO, this isn't a recommendation. In fact stay as far away as possible.
In looking for a chrome shop locally there are a couple of choices, one that looks like it's ready for OSHA and a Haz Mat team to shut it down and JB'S which has some negative reviews.
So on Feb 9th I ran down there to talk to them about re-chroming the CL350 fenders. Warren, the owner, proceeded to tell me how complicated it would end up and things like the rivets for the front fork brace would have to be drilled out, etc. He suggested that I leave them with him for an estimate from some people coming Sat the 10th and he would call me when they got there so I could talk with them. Saturday came and went, no phone call. Monday, 2-12, Warren informed me the estimate was $400 and he sent the fenders away since he was sure that would be fine with me. I tell him NO it's not fine with me that you decide when and where I spend my money. I ask him when will he have the fenders back so I can pick them up. He tells me the following week and he'll call. He even offers to hold the finished fenders for me until I have the money to pay.
So last week I was dealing with doctors and other stuff, received no phone call form Warren. Yesterday I called asking where my fenders were and he tells me they're somewhere south. Couldn't really understand him because he started yelling, screaming and wouldn't stop. So at this point I'm out 2 fenders that are somewhere south like LA or Mexico.
So the plan now is to contact Oregon DOJ and file complaint as well as the BBB. I'll also be calling him daily checking on the location of the fenders plus as time permits I'll probably drop in and see him in person. He's going to end up hating me but he should have been taught not to mess with the Irish.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Jim, that is awful. People like that need to be put out of business. I have used Art Brass in Seattle. Not the best experience, but they did get the job done. They did the headlight, fork ears and the radiator air dams for my '81 GL1100. They are beautiful and it cost $600. It took longer than I was quoted and the air dams were done wrong. They did redo them and I was satisfied in the end. Expensive, but I would do them again. I want to have the fenders redone on the 450.

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My plan when I have fenders again is to take them plus handle bars and other bits north to the Sea-Tac area. Probably start at Queen City Plating and work my way south until I find someone I think will do it right. Queen City has a 5 star Google rating and Art Brass is a 3. JB's is a 1.
I may just buy a pair of decent fenders and start over again

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Keep us posted on what you do. Sorry to hear of this problem.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I guess I was lucky to live in Arizona, where I am guessing environmental regs are much laxer. I'm guessing prices have gone up in the past couple of years, but the last thing I got done was a rear fender for a '64 Plymouth that needed a lot of straightening, and it was $300 out the door. Complete 400F exhaust -- $150. I did a tank, two fenders, and a few bits and pieces (headlight ring, few other pieces) for $300 or so about ten years ago.

I recommend Metro Plating in Mesa, AZ -- can't tell you what their prices are now but they're the ones who did my fender and the 400F exhaust, but with shipping back and forth to PDX and the chroming it'd be less than what you were expected to pay. A storefront that send out it's plating is simply a middleman that's going to tack on more money for themselves and add to your cost. Papago Plating in Phoenix is cheaper, but not as good.

Reactions: bilbikek411

·
Registered
971 Posts
I guess I was lucky to live in Arizona, where I am guessing environmental regs are much laxer. I'm guessing prices have gone up in the past couple of years, but the last thing I got done was a rear fender for a '64 Plymouth that needed a lot of straightening, and it was $300 out the door. Complete 400F exhaust -- $150. I did a tank, two fenders, and a few bits and pieces (headlight ring, few other pieces) for $300 or so about ten years ago.

I recommend Metro Plating in Mesa, AZ -- can't tell you what their prices are now but they're the ones who did my fender and the 400F exhaust, but with shipping back and forth to PDX and the chroming it'd be less than what you were expected to pay. A storefront that send out it's plating is simply a middleman that's going to tack on more money for themselves and add to your cost. Papago Plating in Phoenix is cheaper, but not as good.
You mind if I send you some stuff to get chromed? I have a T500 exhaust, fenders, and a few brackets that I was getting ready to drop off at JB's.... :eek:

·
Registered
750 Posts
You mind if I send you some stuff to get chromed? I have a T500 exhaust, fenders, and a few brackets that I was getting ready to drop off at JB's.... :eek:
I would but -- I live in Mexico City now! I'm going back in March to basically get rid of stuff I have left in AZ. I'd be able to drop that stuff off for you but his turnaround was 2 weeks or so which means you'd have to arrange shipping it back with him. Call him, see what he says -- and my caveat is it's been a few years since I last had stuff done so dunno where he is at in terms of price. The fender I got done in 2010.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Good luck Jim, although it seems hard to justify the costs involved in re chroming, (especially in relatively common models), hopefully it will last, and 50 years from now, will be appreciated in that incomprehensible way that we look at bikes made before we were born. It's sure fun anyway.

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got thru to Warren. Now he says the fenders will be back on March 15th. Any bets the fenders come back dentless, re-chromed and a bill?
BBB complaint is filed.
Oregon DOJ complaint is filed. Oregon doesn't have a separate bureaucracy for Consumer Affairs, just the Attorney General's office.
JB's Chrome Shop.jpg

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
No $ estimate? Sounds like they offloaded to a subcontractor. They deserve the benifit of doubt for price on quality. You are not there yet. They already have a failing grade for customer service. I can go on and on about my experiances with Ford's dealers around me. What happened to taking care of business?

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He was supposed to contact me on the 10th, day after I dropped them off, when the people doing the work would be there and I could talk with them about the estimate. Never called me, just shipped them off to heaven knows where. So besides customer service failure we're getting into fraud.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
That's the place that looks like a Haz Mat disaster site.
They all look like that - because that's what they are, basically.
Plating on a any scale has lots of really hazardous chemicals involved, with crazy tight regulations, disposal issues, insurance, blah, blah.
That's why it's so freakin' expensive, in order to make a profit it has to be..
Most smaller places have been put out of business now, even larger places like Smith's in Paducha.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
What happened to taking care of business?
Jim, better give up on that. It's all about the money today, nothing else - I've had my share of exposure to all that "award winning customer service" out there too... my question has always been, who's giving those awards they brag about? JD Power, Consumer Reports, etc? right... they're awards bought, not earned

·
Registered
554 Posts
Like Press-Ganey scores in the medical field...

Reactions: ancientdad
1 - 20 of 47 Posts