Honda Twins banner

741 - 760 of 765 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,002 Posts
That is good news as they have also said they could ask for people to be off for 12 months.
Wow, over here they're talking about mailing out checks, first one of somewhere between $1000 and $2000 (still being argued) for incomes up to $75k per year, then possibly another following that check for the same or less depending on how long the pandemic lasts. For most Americans, that money would be gone in a couple weeks at best, sooner for many

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yes Tom, our Government has outdone all others I think with their proposals. It is quite a good move as it will help stop a really bad recession. You have to remember that if people are unemployed over here, they are entitled to benefits, so better to pay people to keep a job.

Wow, over here they're talking about mailing out checks, first one of somewhere between $1000 and $2000 (still being argued) for incomes up to $75k per year, then possibly another following that check for the same or less depending on how long the pandemic lasts. For most Americans, that money would be gone in a couple weeks at best, sooner for many

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #744
Rear wheel has been sneaked past the Mrs into the box room upstairs as I have a lot of masking off to do to the outside faces of the spokes to stop them getting oversprayed when I spray the inside faces. (spraying done in the garage, of course!) It's a lot more comfortable masking on a table indoors in the warmth!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #745
I've decided to not go ahead with painting the tank a maroon colour it just doesn't go with the decals I have which are original orange and black. I've done some awful basic editing on a picture of my tank (I don't have the professional photo-editing stuff I used to use in a former life) and I think I've found the paint to keep it more or less original.
My tank as is . . . . . . . .

And badly edited with a colour swatch of Hycote Fiat Passion Red

Back of the tank is faded and the front is in shade but I think it's a good match for the rest of the tank. It's hard to find a red that goes with the orange stripe but I think I've found one!

Anyway, don't red bikes go faster? . . . . . . .. :)

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Just back from a week away in Devon, down at Seaton, watching the news with interest. I hope that the governments financial promises come true, but so far they haven't sorted the food supply issue.

Worst aspect ( for us ) of this Corvid 19 business is the panic buying. When we left Worcester last weekend, the stores were emptied of bog rolls, pasta and aspirin, normal stocks of everything else.

Similar story down at Seaton, local Tesco superstore and nearby Waitrose had limited stocks of the above three items, all else seemed pretty normal. However, just back at Worcester, popped down to our local Tesco superstore to find bare shelves, no meat, no fresh vegetables, not even any potatoes. I can understand ( but not condone ) people hoarding non perishable goods, but broccoli ? Seriously ??

·
Super Moderator
23,089 Posts
If you wanted to go with the US CB400T1/2 stripes I have 2 sets of Red/Black. Exactly like these Orange/Black

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #748
Cheers Jim I'll keep that in mind!
Finished spraying the inside spokes of my rear comstar last night.

It's sitting in the box room drying out. When dry sometime tomorrow it's time to remove the masking tape it took me 4 hours to put on and make cardboard shields to protect the inner spoke paint while I spray the outside spokes, rim and hub. All time consuming but necessary as you can see from the overspray in the picture.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #750 (Edited)
It looks horrible! James, I really thought you did better work... oh, the paper and cardboard is still on it - :D:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Ha! Ha! Yes, I suppose it demonstrates the need to mask the outer surface before spraying the inner! Some paint did creep past the masking tape though

The other side is a bit worse but nothing that can't be sorted when it's properly dry. I achieved a good coverage inside the spokes though

Just the outer spokes, top part of the hub both sides and the rim to cover with black then pinstripe in silver.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #751
Got it masked up and painted black. Pictures to follow as the paint's still wet. Managed to get several drips running down the chain side of the hub, nothing a bit of sandpaper and a spot of clear lacquer can't handle though.

Just had to go out and shop for food. We haven't been panic buying huge amounts of food as has everybody else so we now find ourselves in the situation where we have no food and not much seems to be available on the supermarket shelves so we went to several little shops (not a good idea in the current environment) and got what we need. Don't want to leave the house at all now really.

I'll not get bored though, because as well as my bike needing attention there's always some arrows to fire up the garden to see if I can hit the target if the weather stays fine, or some guitar playing. Then there's my computer programming, haven't done that for a while I might program me a game or two!:)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #752
Masked off the rear wheel (again!) to fix the drips from the first time around and resprayed the hub I'd rubbed down.

It's cured the drips anyway. Waiting around now for it to dry so I can do the silver edges. SWMBO noticed I was idle and re-purposed me putting moss killer on the lawn and watering it in.

I WAS going to re-fit the headlamp shell now the brake pipes are sorted but more gardening has interrupted me

·
Super Moderator
11,002 Posts
SWMBO noticed I was idle and re-purposed me putting moss killer on the lawn and watering it in.
You have to learn the art of "busy work" James... :whistle:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #754
You have to learn the art of "busy work" James... :whistle:
Only the art of invisibility will protect me from SWMBO I'm afraid. Though I am thinking of changing my name and not telling her . . . . . . . . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #755 (Edited)
I didn't want to mask again as it is fiddly so I painted the silver in freehand.

There's one or two areas where the black needs sanding or touching up, around the rim for one where the black paint meets the alloy rim, it needs a piece of emery cloth run around it to (straighten? On a wheel?) it up and then it's ready for new brake shoes, brake arm, torque arm etc.

Then I'll have a rolling chassis! Progress! :)

·
Super Moderator
23,089 Posts
I could be mistaken but you might consider installing the bearings also after freezing them overnight

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #757
I could be mistaken but you might consider installing the bearings also after freezing them overnight
Yes, that might be a good idea as well Jim! Won't get very far without the bearings! I tapped the front wheel bearings in with the old bearings which then went and got stuck for a while so this time I have a rather large socket that fits nicely without getting jammed and, as you say, a night in the freezer might make things easier. I'm certainly not putting a blow lamp anywhere near my new paintwork . . . . . . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #758
Rear wheel bearings are in the freezer chilling. Just a quick question. Is the large bearing the first to fit? Fit the bulged end of the spacer to the bearing first and then fit to the wheel. Fit as in lots and lots of tapping on an old socket to get the blighter in? I think I will use a heat gun around where the bearing sits it's an extremely tight fit!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Rear wheel bearings are in the freezer chilling. Just a quick question. Is the large bearing the first to fit? Fit the bulged end of the spacer to the bearing first and then fit to the wheel. Fit as in lots and lots of tapping on an old socket to get the blighter in? I think I will use a heat gun around where the bearing sits it's an extremely tight fit!
You could have put them in the motorhome with me last night James, it was as cold as a freezer. It is meant to be 5 degrees warmer tonight, but it doesn't feel like it! :eek:

·
Super Moderator
23,089 Posts
I insert the spacer in the bearing, you might sand the edges of it and file the inside to make sure the axle slips in/out. It doesn't matter which bearing goes in first.

741 - 760 of 765 Posts