Honda Twins banner

721 - 740 of 766 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #721
I think I'm the only one with the CB900F front end, it raises the bike @1.5" when the longer rear shocks are added to level the bike and straighten out the geometry. Nice for some dirt back road stuff but definitely raises the cente
I'll bet it's a real good stopper now as well Jim!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #722
Got the throttle grip, handbrake/master cylinder and right switch cluster fitted earlier
I tried to fit the brake cables but had problems with the new bolts

First two are the originals, second two came with an £80 s/s cable kit. The 'long' one isn't long enough, there's only 1/4" of thread after both cables and three washers are fitted. The new short one has barely enough thread to hold it in place. Am I OK using the old ones, I've cleaned up the two shown. If necessary I can use the original long bolt but use the new short ones everywhere else.
And, of course, there's two original bolts missing!

Curses! :mad:

·
Super Moderator
23,120 Posts
I would contact the seller and send pictures. Maybe they have the correct bolts.
You need to make sure that the banjo hole and bolt hole are fairly close, don't want to have them blocked. If that's good then use them

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Old bolts and new oil washers will be fine, but it is frustrating when vendors send the wrong bits.

Venhill have a good reputation, maybe they can help.

Venhill

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #725
I don't like getting ripped off, whether it's my own stupid fault or not. My brake hoses were especially for a CB400N Superdream. If I wanted them longer I had to specify when ordering. The two long hoses are at least 10cm short, they just about reach in a straight line. Company doesn't want to know, I bought them a year ago and should have specified a longer length, despite me telling them that they are making them especially for the Superdream and they are too short. I'm as mad as fire, mostly at my own stupidity!:mad:

Just done a better, more informed search of the Net and I found a British company that will make me a 65cm hose for £3.55. So two are £7.10 with a possible £3.00 for a short top hose. So £10.10 for all three hoses in stainless steel and I paid £70 for the wrong size.

So now you know why I'm mad. At £10.10 it's not too bad to put right but why ever did I think it was OK to pay £70?

Aaaarrrggghhhhh! :mad:

·
Super Moderator
11,047 Posts
I don't like getting ripped off, whether it's my own stupid fault or not. My brake hoses were especially for a CB400N Superdream. If I wanted them longer I had to specify when ordering. The two long hoses are at least 10cm short, they just about reach in a straight line. Company doesn't want to know, I bought them a year ago and should have specified a longer length, despite me telling them that they are making them especially for the Superdream and they are too short. I'm as mad as fire, mostly at my own stupidity!:mad:

Just done a better, more informed search of the Net and I found a British company that will make me a 65cm hose for £3.55. So two are £7.10 with a possible £3.00 for a short top hose. So £10.10 for all three hoses in stainless steel and I paid £70 for the wrong size.

So now you know why I'm mad. At £10.10 it's not too bad to put right but why ever did I think it was OK to pay £70?

Aaaarrrggghhhhh! :mad:
Well, that sucks James. Too bad it's been so long or you'd have an easier time with some level of recourse.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #728
Shopping therapy was called for today. Two new longer brake lines (£10):mad: for starters. Then 3 metres each of light green/red, blue/red and green wire for earth points, oil and pressure switches and others and also some new heat-proof sheathing for same. Total cost £18 so hasn't detracted too much from saving for my stator re-wind. The rubber boots around the oil and neutral switches are quite good so will be cleaned and soaked in my Oil of Wintergreen softening concoction.
Still don't know how best to remove the oxidization off my engine. I think I'll start with de-greasing the thing first and see what's what.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #729
The old neutral and oil pressure switch wiring was a tad faded and frayed

For some reason the heat resistant sheathing was half the length it should have been. New wires and sheathing were called for . . . . .

I've left the final connectors until I know that they'll reach to where they connect!

Sometime today I plan on fitting the brake hoses. Though my David Silver pattern front mudguard (£160 ouch! but much better than the 'fit all' thing on offer) needs sealing.

Where the bracket is fixed and where the edge is folded over are gaps which will hold road dirt and moisture so it's a case of running mastic into the joins and then sealing the whole of the underside with underseal.

Lots to do yet and trying to find the time to do it is getting annoying!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #730
Managed to get my new stainless brake hoses on today.
What an utter nightmare these two were!

The hoses are so inflexible it took forever to find out which one went on first. Finally got it how you see it here which is the only way they will fit. And of course the banjo won't line up with the master cylinder bolt hole so I had to twist and hold the line while I got the bolt to fit and finally screwed in. These lines have definitely got a life of their own!

And they look twisted in location at the moment

Hopefully when the mudguard is on it will be OK. On the guard is a tapped hole to accept a bolt for the two hose tidies I cleaned up last month.
Not putting any brake fluid in yet, it would just sit there absorbing water as this bike is nowhere near going anywhere just yet.
Come to think of it, neither is the other one and that's finished bar new brake shoes. (Frightened of the 14 year-old ones I have fitted de-laminating and locking my wheels!)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #732
Never thought of that Tom. I thought DOT 5 fluid was Harley Davidson Owners Territory!

·
Super Moderator
11,047 Posts
Never thought of that Tom. I thought DOT 5 fluid was Harley Davidson Owners Territory!
Like so many trendy statements that have been made in recent years, "it's not just for Harleys anymore!" You know, the ones referring to men's handbags, men using ladies' shavers in the shower, all that metrosexual stuff... :eek:

·
Super Moderator
23,120 Posts
You might want to install the 2 fender hose retainers on the hoses before going any further. They can be plugged into the fender later.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #735
You might want to install the 2 fender hose retainers on the hoses before going any further. They can be plugged into the fender later.
Hi Jim. They're already fitted it's that clear plastic thing at the bottom of the brake line. Feels like rubber but looks like clear plastic. I'll be pushing it into it's retainer when the mudguards on.

Seeing as I'm having to wait for my stator to be fixed I've decided to ignore the engine for now and start putting the frame parts back on as I can lift the engine as is so putting it on a stand and getting it back on the bike is relatively easy and it's possible to re-fit the barrels and head in situ.

Hospital duties for the next three days. Managed to avoid the corona virus up to now so wish me luck I miss it for the next three days!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #736
Actually, work has had to be put on hold. On listening to the Governments advice on Corona and having a word with my doctor I have had to self-isolate for 12 weeks as I'm over 60 and have asthma. I have no asthma symptoms normally, I can run about etc without getting breathless but if I catch a cold the paramedics want to hike me off to hospital because my airways are closing up so going to hospital and mixing with hundreds of potential Corona carriers is a definite no-no.

So, more time in the garage! Only got one good arm still but it's enough to get some progress done! :)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Steve got sent home on Tuesday afternoon from the garage with the same. We’re waiting to hear what he will get paid and for how long. I am on holiday until next Thursday and because I work in our local hospital, I’m going to have to stay in the office. I am not allowed to go into other departments for 12 weeks. I am in another bedroom and keeping contact to a minimum. If I get it I will have to move out of the house. We’ve been busy in the garden and garage, making the most of the time. I’m currently waiting for a rear tyre to be fitted for the Fazer as Steve can’t mix with people. He will still go walking, mountain biking, running and out on the motorbikes as long as he stays 2m away from others. Scary times, but today is lovely and sunny, so we’re thankful.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #738
Steve got sent home on Tuesday afternoon from the garage with the same. We’re waiting to hear what he will get paid and for how long.
Prime Minister has said 5 hours after you posted this Irene that we will be paid all of our wages or 80% at least so that is good to know. I work for a portering management team so I'm relieved I won't just be getting Statutory Sick Pay!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #739
Got the rear wheel de-greased and etch-primed earlier

Now the search is on to find enough cereal packets to mask off areas whilst I spray others black!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
That is good news as they have also said they could ask for people to be off for 12 months.

Prime Minister has said 5 hours after you posted this Irene that we will be paid all of our wages or 80% at least so that is good to know. I work for a portering management team so I'm relieved I won't just be getting Statutory Sick Pay!

721 - 740 of 766 Posts