Honda Twins banner

701 - 720 of 766 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #701
Yes James, the paranoia over a lost drain plug often drives people to overdo it :oops: Believe me, the larger drain plug on the CB350 and 450 are even more difficult to loosen when overzealous owners do the same on them - and they have an o-ring seal
Honestly Tom it was ridiculous the amount of grunt I had to use to get it off! There's no corrosion on the bolt so I can't even blame it on galvanic corrosion between alloy and steel. Which is why when all the critical bolts on my bike are torqued up I'm placing a white spot of tippex on the bolt and a corresponding dot on the frame. So a quick look before/after a ride will show if the said bolt is coming undone or not. Plus judicious use of Locktight where applicable.

·
Super Moderator
23,120 Posts
I was MIA yesterday so when I started catching up I was thinking of suggestions and you went ahead and fixed everything using my unpublished suggestions. Great minds run in the same gutter or something like that.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #704
I was MIA yesterday so when I started catching up I was thinking of suggestions and you went ahead and fixed everything using my unpublished suggestions. Great minds run in the same gutter or something like that.
It's nice sharing the same gutter as you Jim!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #707 (Edited)
Bought some neoprene rubber washers, 4mm depth, 20mm diameter, M8 hole to replace the temporary oil filter seals I used as a test. Bored them out to 12mm and they fit perfectly between the headlight mounts and headlight shell thus fixing my wonky indicators.

They are still a tiny bit out of straight but at a later date if it bothers me, with the 4mm rubber washers came some 3mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm and 12mm deep, four of each so I have more options. But for now, I'm happy. They should also help the bulbs with any vibration that comes along.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #708
Got the front wheel on earlier

Calipers attached, just need the hoses fitting, brake master cylinder and fluid to make them work!
This is what it looks like up to now

I'm getting somewhere, slowly!
I think next is the bar grips, get the switchgear finished and mounted and finish the front brake system. Or clean the engine . . . . . .

Decisions, decisions . . . . . . . .:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
23,120 Posts
You shouldn't post pictures of the dual front disc brakes. Everyone in the US will be jealous since our versions only came the singles. :p:D

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #712
James, with dual discs on a bike that size, it should wrinkle the pavement when you stop!
I hope it does Tom! To be fair, I had exactly the same setup on my CX500 and they were a little frightening at times for not stopping but it was a heavier bike . . . . .

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #713
You shouldn't post pictures of the dual front disc brakes. Everyone in the US will be jealous since our versions only came the singles. :p:D
Only came with singles . . . . ? :eek: How on earth did you ever stop the things they are pretty weighty bikes you know . . . . . . :)

·
Super Moderator
11,047 Posts
I hope it does Tom! To be fair, I had exactly the same setup on my CX500 and they were a little frightening at times for not stopping but it was a heavier bike . . . . .
Yes, I think this will be significantly better - that's a big old lump in the CX, the 400 is svelte by comparison :)

·
Super Moderator
23,120 Posts
Only came with singles . . . . ? :eek: How on earth did you ever stop the things they are pretty weighty bikes you know:)
Yeah, singles. New semi metallic pads, SS braided hose and change to a 14mm master, stock is 5/8" (15.8mm) to get good braking.
I cheated though and changed the front end to a CB900F which dual discs plus 39mm instead of 33mm forks and a 19" wheel.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #716
Yeah, singles. New semi metallic pads, SS braided hose and change to a 14mm master, stock is 5/8" (15.8mm) to get good braking.
I cheated though and changed the front end to a CB900F which dual discs plus 39mm instead of 33mm forks and a 19" wheel.
I bet lots of people put CB900F front ends on over there then? To be honest, I only ever rode my CX to and from work, round trip 20 miles or so plus a few around the country lanes in my dinner break, I never did have time to sort them. When I eventually sold the bike I checked the pads, they were fine. Decided to flush the brake fluid and was appalled at the black, watery fluid that came out! It's a wonder I stopped the bike at all! It was much better when I sold it. Which I've regretted ever since . . . . . . . !

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #717
Yes, I think this will be significantly better - that's a big old lump in the CX, the 400 is svelte by comparison :)
Especially as the brake fluid was mainly water. See previous post.
If I can get all the air out of the CB's brakes it should be a lot better than the CX. Bleeding the CX was an utter, utter, nightmare!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #718 (Edited)
Guess who's also got metal sintered pads and braided brake lines on his twin caliper CB?:)

·
Super Moderator
23,120 Posts
I think I'm the only one with the CB900F front end, it raises the bike @1.5" when the longer rear shocks are added to level the bike and straighten out the geometry. Nice for some dirt back road stuff but definitely raises the cente

701 - 720 of 766 Posts