41 - 60 of 815 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,173 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Hope so Jim! 70 degrees of warmth. Mmmm, in this country that'll be July. Have to get my cardboard, heat-gun assisted painting booth in action I think.
Is yours back together yet?

Just been to Aldi, a cheap supermarket near us and picked up a two pint tin of acetone-based thinner to remove grease marks before painting.
The cost was £1.47 so I grabbed it. Bargain!

·
Administrator
13,002 Posts
THEN, I can MOT it, tax it, insure myself, buy a skid lid and clothing and ride it!
Haven't heard anyone use that term in quite a while! :D

Unless the mrs. requires my presence elsewhere . . . . . . :rolleyes:
...a new job?? :LOL:

Just been to Aldi, a cheap supermarket near us and picked up a two pint tin of acetone-based thinner to remove grease marks before painting.
Interesting - we have Aldi here in Florida, but I don't think they sell flammable products... great project you have there James, and I enjoy your efforts and posts.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Interesting - we have Aldi here in Florida, but I don't think they sell flammable products... great project you have there James, and I enjoy your efforts and posts.
Hi Tom. Our Aldi is a german supermarket chain that sells food and drink. Every now and then they have a tool day, when they sell things off like boxes of washers, grommets, springs etc. I just happened to spy the last tin of acetone on the tool shelf and grabbed it quick!

Glad you like my posts I try to make it informative for the new guys who are just starting to be brave enough to approach their pride and joy with a spanner and entertaining enough for the grizzled older guys to look at what I'm doing and say "What the heck is he up to now . . . . . . ! :p

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Clocks off!

front of clocks.JPG back of clocks.JPG clock surround.JPG

rusty bracket.JPG broken ignition switch.JPG idiot lights.JPG

The bracket linking the clocks was unpainted so has rusted as has the clock support bracket, though that was painted. The ignition switch barrel is broken too. Idiot lights are all there as is the rubber carrier. The plastic clock surround is dirty but also faded. I don't know wether to spray it black or use a chemical to polish it up

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Took the gear change and linkage off too.

linkage1.JPG linkage2.JPG

It's quite rusty and the rubber boots are ripped but it should clean up OK. I've loosened the nuts off ready for dismantling.

footrest gearchange bolt.JPG

Gear-change pivot post is off as is the left footrest. Only one more bolt to undo and the left footrest hanger is off. Only trouble is I haven't got an allen key big enough to fit so will have to spend some pennies on one.

·
Super Moderator
24,173 Posts
I used a flat black fogged onto the cluster housing, that way it maintains the grain. It takes several coats since barely any paint gets on it each time

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I used a flat black fogged onto the cluster housing, that way it maintains the grain. It takes several coats since barely any paint gets on it each time
I've heard that rubbing petroleum jelly into the plastic brings back the shine by replacing the oil that has been leached out over time. Going to give that a whirl on the rear fender to see if it works. I'll let you know!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Nobody told me what a pain it was to take this out!!

airbox.JPG

Hidden bolts, hidden bits of wire getting in the way, had to remove this round thing too . . . . . . . .

rear wheel off.JPG

Brake calipers are both off and nicely seized. Hope the pistons are OK they are expensive to replace.

This was seized up too . . . . .

brake splitter.JPG

Both handlebar switches are off, choke and tacho cables are off, wiring loom, coil and CDI also.

coil and CDI.JPG main harness.JPG

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Frames a bit rusty

frame from rear.jpg left swingarm bush.jpg right swingarm bush.jpg

Swing arm moves up and down stiffly, can't feel any play left to right which is good but the whole thing may be rusted up so we'll see.

Centre stand has its fair share of rust too . . . . .

rusty centre stand.jpg

Exhaust pipes, silencer and front crash bars are coming off next, then it's just the front wheel and the engine and carbs. Is it best to take the carbs off first, I wonder?

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
70 degrees of warmth. Mmmm, in this country that'll be July.
Ah yes indeed, 70° there in July . . . but it'll be raining! Don't mind me, I'm just one of the grizzled older guys watching what you are up to now! :razz:

You're making good progress with the disassembly. You need to find a friend who will let you use his/her blast cabinet and air compressor, and save yourself some of the wire brush work. Either way, stay calm, wear a dust mask, and carry on!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
You need to find a friend who will let you use his/her blast cabinet and air compressor, and save yourself some of the wire brush work.
I'm afraid I don't have any friends with air compressors or blast cabinets so it will have to be my old faithful electric drill and a series of wire brushes!

Actually, I now have a new electric drill with a max speed of 2000 RPM so seeing as my old drill was only 800 RPM (really old!) the paint will come off more than twice as quickly!

Result! :D

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've heard that rubbing petroleum jelly into the plastic brings back the shine by replacing the oil that has been leached out over time. Going to give that a whirl on the rear fender to see if it works. I'll let you know!
Have you tried a mixture of 60% paint thinners and 40% linseed oil? Rub the mixture on the black plastic. I did this on a lawnmower black plastic gas tank which seems like a similar material and after about three applications, it went from a dull grey to a nice black.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Have you tried a mixture of 60% paint thinners and 40% linseed oil? Rub the mixture on the black plastic. I did this on a lawnmower black plastic gas tank which seems like a similar material and after about three applications, it went from a dull grey to a nice black.
Hi Dan. Yes I have actually but I heard it was 50/50 boiled linseed and acetone? Anyway I haven't had chance to open the garage today so I'll try to sneak in a bit tomorrow and test it on an inconspicuous area of my rear fender before I commit to the instrument surround.

This thing is causing me grief though.

master cylinder.jpg

A simple job. Take this lid off the master cylinder James, so you can see inside. Hah! Refuses point blank to come off. Apparently these bolts are known for welding themselves in place so for £2 I've ordered two replacement bolts from our favourite parts store and tomorrow I will be carefully drilling the heads off them old bolts. There is an extremely recessed circlip holding the master cylinder piston in too. Goodness knows how I'm going to get it out . . . . . . . :confused:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Loosened the nuts on the exhaust studs today as well as the silencer mount. Can't take it off yet the footbrake is in the way and the bolts are seized. So I took the carbs off instead!

on the bench.jpg push pull cables.jpg throttle stop screw.jpg

Linkages are rusty and stiff to move. Am I safe pulling these apart to free up, de-rust, paint where possible and put back together? I've taken loads of photographs to help!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Bikes looking a bit de-populated now!

engine and frame.JPG upper mounting plate.JPG

Anyone know what this is?

whats this.JPG

Is it an earthing point?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Looks like the oil pressure switch.
Cheers Richard, I think you're spot on!

I approached getting the swinging arm pivot with some trepidation today as I had such a fight with the CD200 one, eventually cutting the thing out. I needn't have worried. I undid the nut and tapped the pivot pin with a hammer and a piece of wood then a metal drift and it flew out! Full marks to Honda for rectifying the problem by fitting grease nipples to the swinging arm bushes!

swingarms off.JPG

The bolt holding the torque arm on though is rusted solid. Might have to get my blowlamp out!

stuck swingarm bolt.JPG

A few more pieces of metal were removed including the front engine mount

front engine mount.JPG front engine mount2.JPG

So now the engine has no front support

no front support.jpg

Only the front wheel and forks to remove and then the rear engine mount bolts and the frame is free and the engine is on the garage floor with me wondering how to get it up on the bench . . . . . :confused:

41 - 60 of 815 Posts