Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 552 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's a new pony in the stable. Well, a carthorse, maybe. I went and looked on Ebay and found something I can play with so bidded on it and won!

Here's a complete but well rusted, oxidized CB400N. Everything is there though . . . . . . . :rolleyes:

engine left.jpg motad.jpg right.JPG tank.jpg rear wheel.jpg faded plastic.jpg pitted forks.jpg

nearly 18000.jpg engine front.jpg engine lower.jpg

Should keep me happy for a while. Lots of rusted bolts. The ironmongery towards the rear held two huge panniers which came with the bike, going to use them to store some of the bits I take off the bike. This time round I'm photographing everything and bagging and tagging. In my CD200 thread I just pulled everything off and chucked it in a bin and then spent three years working out what went where. I still have nuts, bolts and washers left over but I did replace quite a lot with stainless items.

Sorry there isn't a whole bike picture shown I can't get the bike out into the open to photograph it because of the snow and because my CD200 is in the way on a jack which I can't get to!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Made for the usa market? MPH is larger than kph. I have a 1982 cb450t same bike mostly I like It.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Made for the usa market? MPH is larger than kph. I have a 1982 cb450t same bike mostly I like It.
No, it's a superdream made for the European market. 75,000 of them were bought in England alone apparently. My mate bought the awful, thankfully short-lived CB250 Dream in 1977 that the superdream replaced around 1978/79. This bike is the 1980 CB400NA. Same as the CB400N but no kick-start. 43bhp so should be fun. When it's finished, that is . . . . . . .

Those horrible gold-coloured comstar wheels are getting changed first I think. Strip back the paint, mask the edges and paint them satin black. The bike will be half done already!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Well done James on acquiring your next project. Was it in the condition you thought from the eBay photos? How did the conversation with your wife go when you told her? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,834 Posts
England uses MPH, or they did 20 years ago when I was there.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well done James on acquiring your next project. Was it in the condition you thought from the eBay photos? How did the conversation with your wife go when you told her? :confused:
Surprisingly she took it quite well. "If you think you're spending money on that then think again" Or something along those lines.:rolleyes:

It's exactly how I thought it would look after 14 years in a garage. A rusty frame, swing arm, lots of rusty bolts, oxidized alloy engine panels and fins, chipped paintwork that has rusted, broken ignition switch. Lots of metalwork to remove where the panniers were attached, except when that's gone there's nowhere to fit the indicators. It's pretty much how my CD200 looked before I started on it.

Can't wait to pull it apart Irene, except I can't get at it to pull it off it's stand never mind anything else. Going to have to re-think the garage layout I think!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
:lol: We have had to make our 15' x 12' chicken run in to a shed, the side panels were mesh so we have clad it and it looks like a log cabin now. It gives us more room in the garage to work on the bikes. I don't think the chickens were very happy but someone/thing had to make the sacrifice! :eek:

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Been crawling about underneath the bike with a torch earlier. Lots of rust as expected. The swingarm is especially rusty, though at least the pivot points have grease nipples and thankfully look a stage better than the rubber bushes I had to burn and cut out of the CD. These look like bearings under dust seals so here's hoping! Although rusty, everything on the bike looks as though after it's been removed, wire-brushed, de-greased, rust-proofed and painted it will go back on the bike looking a million times better.

The front brakes are dual disks, single piston calipers as on the Honda CX500, and probably retard the CB400N much better as it's a much lighter bike than the CX! There's no resistance when pressing the front brake lever though so the brake fluid is probably gone or turned to water so a full refurbishment there then. Clutch works really well though. I'm hoping to get this bike looking good on a minimal outlay, as the wife is fairly accurate with a rolling pin! I have lots of paints left from my other project so that will save some money. And I have all the tools now as well so that's another saving.

The twin carburetors are badly oxidized, and the metal linkages are really rusty so that will be a nice cleaning job all on it's own. One £20 carb refurb kit for the insides sometime in the future too! It's twin push-pull throttle cables as well and they are really stiff. They were a pain on my CX as well but I didn't pull that bike apart. Wish I had done now and kept it, it's become a bit of a classic!

PO was a nice bloke, said the bike turned over a couple of years ago and squirting WD40 in made the engine catch so I've decided to take him at his word and start to strip the bike presuming that it will start later when required. The last bike did after 13 years so this one should. They are Hondas, after all!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this thread and all you new spanner twirlers out there learn from the mistakes that I am most definitely going to make! :roll:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Brilliant news James.

I think I envy you. If I didn't have the Hornet to satisfy my occasional need for speed, I'd have looked out for a bigger ( than 175 ) old Honda to play with.

At least you've rescued the 400 from the café racer brat bike brigade ...

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brilliant news James.

At least you've rescued the 400 from the café racer brat bike brigade ...
I most definitely have Richard! Mind you, to return it to a twin pipe, twin silencer bike with downpipes, collector box and silencers is a couple of quid short of £300. So I've an idea the two-into-one that's already fitted will have to stay for a while.

The lack of money is due to me handing in my notice to an NHS branch of care that I work with for reasons that will have to stay nameless. So for now it's dismantling, de-rusting and painting with what I already have. Now if it would just warm up a bit outside I can empty the garage of non-bike related stuff and throw it up the garden out of the way to make me some room to spin some spanners . . . . . .!!! :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
475 Posts
It looks to be the same bike as my 1982 cb450t hawk 00j0j_i5AgHlr82DK_1200x900.jpg 1982 cb450t.jpg plus minus a part or two. I like it very nice bike

·
Super Moderator
22,571 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks to be the 6 speed version according to CMSNL fiche.
Yes it is Jim. To confirm it while I was crawling about under it I saw the gears one to six stamped on the left-hand case. Sixth is probably just an overdrive though, I can see the bike losing speed as soon as it's engaged on anything but a level motorway!

·
Registered
82 Posts
hi james, oooh dear, who has the restoration bug lolol, those pannier brackets are exactly what i need for my benly if you want to part with them i'll gladly pay a tidy sum for them ( you can keep the boxes for storage ) its just the brackets i'd be after...?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
those pannier brackets are exactly what i need for my benly if you want to part with them i'll gladly pay a tidy sum for them ( you can keep the boxes for storage ) its just the brackets i'd be after...?
You can have them with pleasure matey. PM me your address. It may be a while I can't get to it until I throw some (non bike related) stuff away!

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
. . . And I have all the tools now as well so that's another saving.
A common argument for those of us in denial about our mcy habits. I now have another BMW R90/6 that doesn't show yet in my signature list. "You have the tools, some spares, and you spent all that time on the learning curve," I told myself. :)

. . . Sixth is probably just an overdrive though, I can see the bike losing speed as soon as it's engaged on anything but a level motorway!
Oh ye of little faith!

Good luck with your new project. Are you permanently joining the ranks of us slacker retirees then?

Ray

1 - 20 of 552 Posts