Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I split the case on my CB100, and parts went everywhere's.

I think I got it back together, I hope right.

Should I use sealant along with the gasket or can I use just the gasket when putting them back?

Any checks I should make before buttoning it up?

I needed to change the kick starter shaft, and didn't figure I'd have to take all the gearing out for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Iv rebuilt several of the smaller Hondas and not used sealant with the gaskets. I use honda bond on non gasket areas but never use a sealant on a gasket.

Bill

·
Registered
757 Posts
Make sure that all the punched holes in the gaskets are clear. Hanging chads will kill your engine.
TOOLS
...and Al Gore's presidential hopes. Or whoever that was. :D:D:D

My apologies for going political, but I just couldn't resist! :cool:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ha ha at oupa. I'd of done the same.

Thanks guys. Waiting on the screw set to come in, and hopefully get this thing back together before the DC Rolling Thunder.

Just need a headlight, seat, side covers, carb rebuilt, petcock rebuilt, tank cleaned again, and, and, and.........crap, a whole lot.

And tires.........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
In your shop notes, indicate that you should remove the right side case half, leaving the various shaft assemblies in the left half......
You pulled the wrong case half....This IS specified in the factory shop manual... :eek::confused::(

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did open it that way.

But when I tried to lift the assembly out, it fell apart.

I did take pictures, but not of the right areas.

Like I said, I have it back together, but when I shift it through the gears, seems it gets stuck until I jiggle it.

I do have to separate it again, I want to cover the gears with some assembly lube.

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Reopening the cases may not be necessary....
You do realize that the shafts must be rotating for the shift mechanism to function properly.....
Dry shifting at a standstill will likely result in "sticky" shifts....

I only commented previously because your picture SHOWS the assemblies in the right case half...
Had they been left in the left half, the kickshaft would have simply lifted out with the right case half, held by its spring, and nothing else would have been disturbed......

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Correct, that is how the book said to do it.

However, I do realize books can be wrong.

Seems it would be difficult to get the kicker spring back in the area on the casing when trying to reassemble the halves.

Just saying, did split it, coated the gears and other stuff with assembly lube, just waiting on seals to arrive before moving forward.

Thanks for the input guys.

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
No....Kicker is assembled into the right half with the spring hooked in place...Then THAT assembly is placed/lowered onto the left half (using kickshaft as a hand-hold) with all the other shafts in place in left half already.....

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for that info, wished I'd done it that way.......too late now.

Still waiting on seal, then I'll button this up and see how the shift works.

Hopefully I didn't screw this up.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, got it back together.

All seems to be ok, rotates nicely.

Gonna get it back in the frame 2nite or 2morrow night. Hopefully fired by Wednesday night.

Carb is soaking in carb cleaner, was a little gunky when bowl was removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, got back from Rolling Thunder, great ride, suggest it to all.

Got a battery, charged it, installed the petcock to the tank, poured a little gas in the tank, and kicked away..........nice being able to kick it for once, instead of bump starting it.

But, guess it's getting no fire, get no response from the engine.

Will continue to play with it, it's only a little CB100, SOHC, should be fairly easy to figure this one out.

Can't really understand how I can have all 3 Honda SOHC bikes not running at the same time..........geesh.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's alive.........

Running and rode it around the back yard......fun.

Won't idle, but gets up and goes. I just can't figure the reason the pipe is turning colors.

Used to be chrome, now it looks like it's turning black or blue.

What causes that, and how do you fix it.

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Either point timing is off, or the fuel mixture (carb or its seals to the engine) is the problem.....TOO LEAN or mistimed..... OR both....

I suspect an air leak between carb and engine, which would also account for the lack of idle......

·
Administrator
13,086 Posts
If it's the stock pipe, it should be double-wall and it would take a lot for it to turn blue. An aftermarket pipe is usually single-wall and they can blue quickly, but usually when the pipe turns blue in a hurry it can mean the bike is running a little lean

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cool, thanks for the info..........

I can't figure out why this thread is not showing up as a new post when y'alls post to it.

I did not know you posted till I pulled it up under my profile to update it.

I will check the points and more than likely the gaskets between the carb and engine might be leaking.

I have new gaskets and will pull the carb and replace them tonight after work.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts