Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yes, it IS a nightmare... can't say I've ever seen anyone go that route, and I wish I could say they did a halfway decent job of it... but I can't. Hideous

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
That bike was obviously built in the 1970s and a great surviving example of what was being done at the time to customize a bike. Not everyone could afford a Harley chopper, and there were not many parts available for the Japanese bikes. People used what they had/could find to customize their bikes. This is what I and my friends did back then. I love this survivor of the 1970s custom. I also think that it is really great that it is being displayed in a motorcycle museum.
TOOLS

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
That bike was obviously built in the 1970s and a great surviving example of what was being done at the time to customize a bike. Not everyone could afford a Harley chopper, and there were not many parts available for the Japanese bikes. People used what they had/could find to customize their bikes. This is what I and my friends did back then. I love this survivor of the 1970s custom. I also think that it is really great that it is being displayed in a motorcycle museum.
TOOLS
I should have realized you'd have appreciation for it being different... but did you ever stick a 450 engine in a 305 frame?

·
Banned
854 Posts
The builder also gets credit for the (what appears homemade) fork brace.

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Nah....Those fork braces were commonly available during that era.....Unfortunately, it's mounted too close to the sliders (limiting fork travel perhaps)....

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like the "NOTE: BOTH BRAKES INOPERABLE." in the description. :eek:

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
That green 450 café in the background in a few pics looks pretty good, though...:D

·
Registered
686 Posts
I agree that this bike is a nightmare but tools has a point in putting it in a historical context. You don’t have to like it to acknowledge a true survivor of an aera. I just wish that café would soon be history as well...

·
Registered
581 Posts
I agree that this bike is a nightmare but tools has a point in putting it in a historical context. You don’t have to like it to acknowledge a true survivor of an aera. I just wish that café would soon be history as well...
It's not the worst that I've seen. I'd ride that before a cafe bike anytime. I might change the color, though.

Reactions: TOOLS1

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
That's impressive, the whole weight of that engine hanging by one bolt in the front and one bolt in the rear, no head steady, no bottom mount. Zero bids I think I know why.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I like the "NOTE: BOTH BRAKES INOPERABLE." in the description. :eek:
yeah, that rear brake arrangement looks sketchy at best... especially the way you'd have to manipulate your foot to the pedal in a panic

That's impressive, the whole weight of that engine hanging by one bolt in the front and one bolt in the rear, no head steady, no bottom mount. Zero bids I think I know why.
yep, that would be a flexy-flier for sure... wonder how the chain alignment is? or if it ever came off now and then?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I like it in the "if it was my bike that I just built, and I think it's just plain radical, and I'm going to ride the heck out of it" kinda way

1 - 15 of 15 Posts