Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well finally got some time, and parts and put it on yesterday. hooked up battery and tamp gas tank, and after some kicking it ran! not right but ran. found the left bowl dry, adjusted the valve and she ran on both cylinders. but then i noticed gas coming out of the left carb. thought overflow, well nope it has a perfect little pin hole in the bowl. So i am now soaking another bowl and gonna try it out (when time allows). But i am ticked pink it ran and looks like its charging! Now i got to clean and find all the parts i took off 5 years ago----before moving!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
roundman72 said:
well finally got some time, and parts and put it on yesterday. hooked up battery and tamp gas tank, and after some kicking it ran! not right but ran. found the left bowl dry, adjusted the valve and she ran on both cylinders. but then i noticed gas coming out of the left carb. thought overflow, well nope it has a perfect little pin hole in the bowl. So i am now soaking another bowl and gonna try it out (when time allows). But i am ticked pink it ran and looks like its charging! Now i got to clean and find all the parts i took off 5 years ago----before moving!
If you need a part, let me know - after all we're in the same town.
Also be happy to help get you tuned up.....

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the offer and i will take you up on it. i need to get it further along before i get to that point. i have a cracked alt. cover (with missing screws), missing clutch/chain cover (i got somewhere), got to dig out gas tank and side covers (think those are in front garage above in loft) and a petcock (i got that too somewhere), well i will be getting a hold of you when i am ready. i was going to take pictures and post soon. i really was not gonna work on it yesterday but i got done building my son/daughters fort/slide thing and cut the grass and cleaned window wells and still had some time so i grabbed the parts and went! :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 out of 3 float bowls had pin holes in them, the only thing saving the one was the crush washer for the drain was gone and let all old gas "leak" out and the bowl looks brand new! found most of the parts. cleaned the chain/clutch cover, clutch rod and tore apart the petcock, yup its gonna need rebuilt but all looked good, so coming right along...as long as it keeps raining gotta work inside!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: It Runs! 1970 CL450 new gas cap question

ok update... rebuilt petcock, reinstalled, rebuilt gas cap.

thats all for now but anyone have a way to reattach the gas cap. the old pins are bent and peens are cracked. the look to be 3mm which is .118 inches a #4 screw is .112 o.d. and a #6 is .138 O.D. anyone use screws? rivets are of course NLA.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
If not I believe a local hardware store should have some roll pins that would work for those hinge pins..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok quick update. gas tank done, clutch cover/ clutch done, since i have it down i desided to check out the electric start issue, pulled cover and it looks like the starter clutch bad, i need to pull rotor off to look at but my spare axel was wrong size, need to find bolt. all looking good gonna hope to fire back up on own gas tank soon and find a front brake cable. I need to take pictures!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GOT IT! i got an allen bolt from fastenal and used an air impact on the rotor and came right off without even holding the brake! bad news is that the three screws were snapped off and plungers broken, springs bent out of shape. good news everything else is fine and the snapped screws came right out with a center punch and hammer. so time to order some more parts.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok parts ordered now be here after tuesday....now i just got to get bill over for a tune up afterward :roll:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok put the new drain plug in and put gas in the tank for the first time (been using a hanging tank) and filled with oil......2nd kick fired up. got some gas leaks and hose routing issues (due to filters) but will try to play with more. I dont know about the transmission.... while it was running on center stand i put into 1st and 2nd and then could not get back into neutral? have to look at better. Getting close. also fired up my silverwing and it still seems great. getting the bug.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Yeah, fired up my fo-fitty yesterday too.
Though I didn't ride - still a bit cold for me, and I've been kind of sick.......

Let me know if I can assist you in any way, Eric.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts