Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It breaths again! Project Update-CB160

New to the forum but not to Honda twins!

My 1965 Honda CB-160 has come back to life after sleeping in the corner of the garage for over 40 years.
9,200 miles original miles now; complete rebuild in 1971 @ 7,200 miles: first oversize bore and pistons; new valves, bearings and seals; every piece bolted to another taken apart and painted in British bike paint sceme: black frame, silver fenders, green metalflake tank and side covers.

Features Dunlop K-70 tires, Barnett clutches, scrambler (CL-160) handle bars with cushion grips; "stock" exhausts (but megaphones in black hi-temp header paint waiting to be refitted after quieting); original headlght modification from Cycle mag using a halogen sealed beam; turn signals just installed. Awaiting mounting hardware to fit a fairing with 7 inch halogen headlight. To be tagged with an Antique plate and taken to the local car shows as a "show-off" and ridden on weekends.

Had to have the tank professionally cleaned out after getting it partially done. Still have some residue issues so have installed in-line filters. Left carb's idle jet may be clogging as am having some idling issues. Once warmed it runs well after getting rolling (clutch is still "touchy" until gotten used to). Forgot to say am running Uni foam air filters as original paper ones are long gone.

Left side.JPG

Right side.JPG

Reactions: Dudepants

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Man I love that mint green paint job!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Phase 1 was "Clean it up"--A bath, lots of chrome polish and elbow grease, engine degreaser, tire treatment, etc.
Phase 2 was "Get it running"--New battery, drop the carbs and clean 'em, get the tank de-gunked, deal with getting it to run.
Phase 3 was "Make it Safer"--Turn signals and switch added. Pix posted.

NOW:
Phase 4 "Dress it up"--A Viper fairing was found during Phase 2 and a Slipstreamer mounting system was acquired (not what was pictured, but made to work). Some may think it's too big for a small bike, but it had a 7" headlight opening, allowing me to mount a larger headlight for better visibility (Be Safe = Be Seen)--a halogen H6424 lamp was used (35 watt low beam won't tax the electrical system).

Still having some idleing problems, but with a consultatiion with Sprint66, may be solved. Pix attached of latest update.

On the ground in front of the bike are the megaphones that came on the bike when bought. The are now painted with black Hi-Temp paint as the chrome was all flaking off. They are way to loud for the street without muffling. The end caps that were on them have gone missing over the years so new ones will be fabricated if not found on e-bay etc. Used to make fiberglass insulation glass-pack inserts and will do so again to see if it's quiet enough for my residential neighborhood.

Antique plate on the way--car show target of Sep 19th on schedule.

Phase 3-Left side 8-8-15.JPG

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another project update!

Antique plate came yesterday. Donned the helmet, fired it up and rode around the neighborhoods a few times to develop confidence and get the feel back for balance, braking, clutch/shift timing, starting on a slope, etc. Then out onto the two lane...

Yowzer! It's got full power! Speedo "red line" in the first three gears without a burp, bobble or miss! Scary fast for an old man!

Pulled plugs this am--nice tan/brown shades on the electrodes, but a bit of black on the barrel rims. Still need to fiddle with the idle mix and idle speed, but well on its way to being a good runner.

Some close-up pix of mods and changes to follow on next post. First car shows coming up 9/5 then 9/19!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to say good running is credited to Black65 for showing how to open up the gas cap.

Engine kept dying after a brief idle period while trying to set up the carbs. Followed his post and found that the "donut" inside the cap was still full of gunk despite being dipped and soaked in solvent and blown out. A vacuum was being drawn in the tank, shutting off fuel flow. The tip-off was the "woosh" of air when the cap was twisted off to see if the tank was empty.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Cool!! Looks awesome. Great story.
Have you not ridden for 40 years? Must feel great.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CT: It hasn't been quite as long as that--I used to go dirt bike riding with a friend who had several Hondas. But, it has been a while since on the street. For the last decade I've been racing sailboats--life in the slow lane--so it's a matter of a difference in balance and timing, not to mention speed!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Just remember, those other 'things' on the road are capable of more than just ruining your day. I drive like each one can mess me up and make a mental note of avoidance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep! That's why I mounted the Viper fairing with the BIG 7" halogen headlight and added turnsignals. Be Seen = Be Safe!

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Yes, at 55 yrs old I figured antique plate is the way to go.
Keeps me off the highways and a little safer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts