Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to anyone that’s reading this!

I’m a new member and new owner of a 1983 cm450e. I don’t like crotch rockets too much or Harley’s and I feel the old hondas are the best of both worlds. I recently bought it at the beginning of the month just after completing the cmsp (safety course). I was told it has 54,000 miles. No odometer so who knows really. BUT! I got it for cheapy (;

It doesn’t run currently (no spark).

Side note: I just graduated from the auto tech program at my local college. Having no auto shop work experience or motorcycle knowledge I’ll be using the skills to learn more on how to diagnose and repair things in the real world..

Back to the topic at hand..
I acquired a shop manual via a very helpful person on this forum ? and started to chase the problem. Upon my journey in peeling all the electrical tape, I discovered some odd looking wiring jobs. I’ve added some pics to show you all what it is I’m dealing with.. is it normal or an abomination???

Thank you ?

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
That is not normal and you are dealing with someones attempt to rewire or fix issues unknown. There are electrical schematics for the bike included in the service manual that identifies each wire and their function on the bike, yet you do need to be able to read and follow a schematic.
The wires are normally bundle wrapped in a black plastic tape that someone has opened up and cut into and spliced various other wires in the the harness. Depending on the level of cutting and adapting you maybe better at picking up a replacement wiring harness off a member here if available, or EBay. Judging by the pictures it looks like a hack job supreme done by a PO on the wiring, so I would be prepared for a challenge in sorting it out.

By the way my experience is the bike only starts out cheap and builds from there at lightening your wallet.;) Sometimes it pays to buy a better bike initially than the $200 special deal. lol!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
On the net look up , Cycle Terminal ,and , The Wire Barn. Cycle Terminal sells terminal kits for bikes and the the crimping tool. Wire barn will have all the the wire you will need. Get the wire and terminals for your size bike. Rewiring a bike not as hard as it looks but takes a lot of time. You will need an OHM meter and a good battery.

Depending on your skill level you may be ahead to follow the other members advice and buy a harness.

Bill

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Unplug that black/white wire coming from the CDI box to see if you have spark. I would also recommend another unhacked harness. It's a mess.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Not all that bad.
If you peel back that yellow electrical tape, you'll find soldered splices done at the factory. Nothing wrong there.

The rest of the stuff- definitely a bit of buggery by a previous owner who obviously knew nothing about proper splicing techniques. The black with white stripe to brown splices are definitely wrong- you'll have to trace down where each comes from and repair accordingly. The three-to-one black splices -may- be okay if they're in accordance with the OEM wiring diagram- again, track them down and repair accordingly. All repairs will be to OEM spec or better if you do a proper, soldered lineman's splice (preferably covered with heat shrink tubing, rather than electrical tape) where a splice is indicated, and the proper size bullet connector (as recommended above) where those are indicated.

Good luck, and welcome!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
+1, most of what's there isn't that bad. a few repairs and you're on your way. Toss that sticky black electrical tape and get a roll of proper self-fusing wire harness tape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts