Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was organizing and cleaning some spares today and saw this:

1128181248.jpg

Will this prevent me from getting a proper seal? This is on the left front of the upper case half.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I would carefully file it flat, fill the low spots with JB weld, then file again. It looks like someone chiseled the case halves apart. That hole looks like it could be an oil passage, so I would play it safe.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Holy Crap, now that's a gouge! How hard is it to just remove all the bolts and heat one case with a propane torch or heat gun until the seal releases?

POs man!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It's not an oil passage. Just a dowled case bolt hole I'll give it a go with the fil and JB

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
That's disgusting, isn't it? Man, POs can be incredibly barbaric in their methods... between half-destroying surfaces and covers to over-going the engine with mass amounts of RTV, they can be our worst enemy

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got this engine half disassembled with my first Nighthawk. Head and cylinder we're removed and the case was "split" with the rotor still attached and obviously the stator bolted on. Some peoples kids.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yep... I hate to re-quote it, but the CMC video of the top end tear down on a DOHC 450 is a good example of how even those regularly involved in this stuff can take a wrong approach and use tools that one should never use on precision surfaces... so it isn't always the damn POs

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've been using J-B Weld High Heat Epoxy Putty for engine case repairs. Easy to slice a small amount off, knead to mix and apply. I found that a rough sizing part way through its cure works well then a final finishing after curing. It holds a very good edge.

I have a flat piece of granite from a sink cutout .... granite shops give them away.... and stick a round 12" disc from a disc sander onto the granite. The sanding discs are cheap and easy to find. Beats hand filing for accuracy and speed.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Repairable per the previous instructions. Just have to be sure when filing that you don't create a low spot so work the file along the case mating surface instead of across it. Go slow and easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts