Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All.

I have recently discovered a crack in the rear part of the frame (pictures attached). it goes all the way through, but i am unable to separate it as it seems that there is something in side the frame prevents sideways movement.

I took this in to a vintage motorcycle shop to get this repaired but he refused and said that I should just throw it away as he didn't want to be the one who fixed it incase it failed in the future. I also had another motorcycle mechanic who told me I'd be stupid to throw it away.

I'm a bit confused as to which route to go down. What do you guys think, should I attempt to get someone to weld this back up or should I throw away and try to get a replacement?

Thank you in advance!

IMG_1055.jpg IMG_1055_2.jpg IMG_1058.jpg IMG_1057.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
You would be stupid to throw away the frame due to a crack. The frame holds the VIN serial number tag that carries ownership for the whole bike.

A decent welder operator can repair a mild steel frame such as this one. I would recommend removing the paint near the crack, grinding a shallow v-shaped groove along the cracked line, and using a TIG or low-amp MIG welder to fill in and rejoin the tube, limiting the heat input. This repair is certainly workable on these steel frames. If all repairs fail, an oversleeve tube could be applied and welded over the crack to reinforce the section.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would make sure whoever welds it truly knows what they are doing, but with a quality repair it will be fine. A sound weld and a tidy job are the important considerations.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yes it can be welded,I have welded frames myself and lived to tell the tell:D

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
It needs a gusset added,after the weld, on the front of the tube from the bottom edge of the swing arm tab below the crack. .I would put a gusset on the left side tab also, that looks like a weak point in the design, those swing arm tabs should have been longer to spread the load a bit better.

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Or one long slug ,dropped from above after the tube piece was back in place.....
I like the way TOOLS thinks....an internal brace/gusset like a slug would be far less noticeable and stronger

1 - 9 of 9 Posts