Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've reused this part too many times, with the result that the tabs have fatigued and dropped off.

locktab.JPG

The part is not available locally, and to order them in would cost 25 quid or so, which is daft for a couple of metal washers. It's used on many of the Hondas with a 2LS front brake. I do wonder if it's really needed, can't see those bolts coming out if fitted correctly. Thread lock, or locking wire ?

Any thoughts ? Usual caveats about safety related items …..

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Trust me, those bolts do work loose without that washer - I ended up in a ditch when it came loose on my old K2 450.
The drum rotated, the brake cable wound around and locked the front brake up, and I did a Superman over the bars. Luckily I was in the eastern plains of Colorado, nothing to smash into.
I see a bunch of them on EBay - you'll need to figure out the best deal, due to your shipping.........90533-286-000
90533-286-000

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes, thanks for that.

I've found some generic lock tab washers locally that look as though they will work, failing that I'll make some to fit, how difficult could that be …..

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I have an allen bolt and lock washer on mine. It's been that way for 3+ years and hasn't loosened.

IMG_3011.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While waiting for the stainless steel lock tabs to turn up, I found some left over galvanised steel joist hangers left over from another project. Only took a few minutes with hacksaw and file to knock out some crude but effective lock tabs. These will do, if nothing better turns up.

20181129_122438.jpg

Reactions: Alan F. and 83XLX

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Put some wire on it for petes sake!
I check it occasionally. It isn't coming loose, believe me. If it makes you feel better, there's a regular bolt on the other end of the stay with a lock tab on it...;)

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Dale - you're living dangerously without both the lock tab and the cable-retention cotter pin in the brake arm... :lol:
Sharp eye! Hey, Danger is my middle name. I have a much nicer brake arm linkage I'm planning on installing the next time I have the front wheel off. Maybe I'll put a cotter pin in there when I put it all back together...:D

D2A6530D-F57F-434B-B644-AC91A4BF4E5E.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Sharp eye! Hey, Danger is my middle name. I have a much nicer brake arm linkage I'm planning on installing the next time I have the front wheel off. Maybe I'll put a cotter pin in there when I put it all back together...:D
I did see that aged look of the existing linkage... you just can't buy good patina!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These stainless steel tab washers arrived this morning. I think they'll do the job nicely, along with stainless bolts.

25 of them for less than 4 quid delivered.

20181130_102925.jpg 20181130_103346.jpg 20181130_102946.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts