Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm assembling my 1971 CL175K5, and am starting to think ahead to the new battery. After looking at so many project log pictures, it's very apparant that leaking/overflow tube battery acid causes great damage to the paint and chrome. As I'm starting with fresh everything, has anybody yet sourced a modern sealed type battery equivalent to the required 12N9-4B that fits the CL/CB175 battery box?

Possibly a Radio Shack alarm type sealed unit with terminals that'll have to be changed? That's what many of the vintage two stroke guys do, and I'm certainly willing to pony up to avoid all of that potential damage...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have been an advocate of the SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) battery for over a year now. I bought one out of desperation for my CB450 at last years Mid-Ohio Vintage Motorcycle days and it's still going strong despite the fact I only ride the bike rarely (I occasionally will hook it up to a Battery Tender).
Radio Shack, The Battery Store, Interstate Batteries or similar are good sources. But, the best deals are on E-Bay. I got four 12V 5amp (for my CB450 racer-- total loss system) for $40.00 delivered to my door.
I'm not an expert on battery designations but it looks like your battery is a 12V 9amp. My 450 had a 12V 12amp battery. I had no choice but a 12V 7amp and it cranks the engine over with no problem. I paid $20.00 for it. I bought it at Interstate Batteries in Mansfield, Ohio (they're all over). That battery weighs about half (3.6LBS) of what your wet cell battery weighs and, should easily handle all your needs. For that matter, the 2.2LB 12V 5amp battery I use in the racer would probably work just fine too.
Just measure your existing battery LxWxH and get one that is no larger (smaller is no problem, that's why they invented foam). Most come with spade style connectors. I soldered
12 Ga. wire about 1/2 inch long to the terminals with an eyelet on the other end and taped the exposed connectors. You could make the connector wire longer or shorter to fit your needs. Remember too, it can sit on end, side or at an angle-- it doesn't care. It doesn't have to sit "upright". Any way it will fit is fine.
No more drippy acid, no more checking the fluid level, no more sulphated batteries that last about a year if you're lucky. And, no more $60.00 to $90.00 for a battery (which has to be a 1000% mark up!)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really appreciate the help, guys. That link you gave me, RicH2, reassuringly lists my exact bike- never thought I'd see that for a sealed battery!

Just have to improvise connectors from spade type to eyelet as suggested.

·
Registered
659 Posts
sandman said:
I really appreciate the help, guys. That link you gave me, RicH2, reassuringly lists my exact bike- never thought I'd see that for a sealed battery!

Just have to improvise connectors from spade type to eyelet as suggested.

Wow....I was helpful :shock:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts