Honda Twins banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it real or April Fools Day - This is NO JOKE $29,350 takes them all!

2K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  knauff13 
#1 ·
See less See more
#12 ·
There are actually two Black bombers on the ad for $7500, four whole engines (some 5sp) another bottom end and a bunch of parts. Of course the '71 CB is the nicest of the bunch but the CL is nice too. None of these are too far out of line. The rest are the I don't want to sell it price. But like what 76Twin says what the market will bear. I think any running complete not cut DOHC is worth $2500.

#13 ·
Being in Southern oregon and looking daily at anything within 600 miles its amazing what the perceived values are. I'm hoping the Fad (If i may call it that) takes another direction lol. The days of 200 to 300 dollar finds are getting harder and harder to come across. Or the you can have that old bike over there if you want it.

Reminded me of this Craigslist ad I saw yesterday. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcd/d/greenbrae-1969-honda-cb750-sandcast/6840808943.html
$30,000 I thought April fools possibly but seems as though its aq fairly legit price.

Thanks for sharing!

Tim

#22 ·
Being in Southern oregon and looking daily at anything within 600 miles its amazing what the perceived values are. I'm hoping the Fad (If i may call it that) takes another direction lol. The days of 200 to 300 dollar finds are getting harder and harder to come across. Or the you can have that old bike over there if you want it.

Reminded me of this Craigslist ad I saw yesterday. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcd/d/greenbrae-1969-honda-cb750-sandcast/6840808943.html
$30,000 I thought April fools possibly but seems as though its aq fairly legit price.

Thanks for sharing!

Tim

I am no Sandcast CB750 expert, but the serial numbers are correct for a sandcast 750. The oil filter cover has fins, I believe the sandcast bikes were smooth. That may have changed in the later sandcast bikes. $30K is not out of line for this bike.

#16 ·
I am way too cheap to pay 4K for a 450.
Or a 750. (Well maybe not a '68 sandcast motor in excellent condition!)

But that first one is nuts - right off the bat I'd take off the cost of all the replacement parts need to fix it, so we are down to $1500, tops.
Yeah, not a cafe fan. ;)

Many of those do look great though, and if I was in the market (and area) I'd probably take a look.

The 71 and the 70 are the ones "most likely" to me.

#19 ·
The first bike looks "OK", could have returned it back with just a seat and handlebar swap. He HAD to cut that frame!! Unless that drive train had been completely gone through..$6,500 is a lot in my book. Please tell me it atleast has some kind of "newer" ignition type system...

#20 ·
...$6,500 is a lot in my book. Please tell me it atleast has some kind of "newer" ignition type system...
it's a lot in my book too - even IF it had an EI. the only bike in that group worth what they're asking (or reasonably close) IMO is the second one, the candy gold CB450K4, it's a gorgeous bike and hopefully it really looks that good in person as jakec says. if they only mean one Bomber for that price, in that condition, then no... if you get two bikes for that then it's a lot closer to reality - but I'm guessing not many of us have 3/4 of $10k to spend in a lump either

#23 ·
Yes Jim, the early sandcast models had smooth oil filter cups and it changed during the model year according to something I recently read, not for cooling reasons (as I'd previously heard) but apparently for strength purposes as some cracks were showing up in the unfinned cups. I always liked the smooth cup, and it could be polished up nicely too

#25 ·
No expert on the sandcast motor 750s either, but I do know they are the only ones that go for crazy money.
If the bike is for real, that is about right for one.

I guess my problem is that I like to play with my toys- never left anything in its original packaging to increase collector value.

Maybe its just because I am not rich and can't afford a warehouse full of cars and bikes, but every vehicle I have ever owned has gotten USED.
And it just seems that 30k for 2 wheels to tool around on is a bit crazy to me.

#27 ·
I cannot believe how many CB/CL450 DOHC are on Cragslist in the Seattle area. Is the real or do you think they will sell for these prices:

Honda CB450 Cafe Racer - $6500

Honda CB450 Cafe Racer - $5000 (Ballard) UPDATE 4-29-19

View attachment 278624

1971 Honda CB450 - $3500

UPDATE 4-29-19 - NOT CURRENTLY LISTED on Seattle Craigslist

View attachment 278626

1974 Honda CB450 Twin - $4150

Vintage Honda CB 450 - $3600 UPDATE 4-29-19

View attachment 278628

1966 Honda CB450 Black Bomber plus plus - $7500 This guy has a second bike and bunch of engines

UPDATE 4-29-19 - NOT CURRENTLY LISTED on Seattle Craigslist

View attachment 278630

1973 CB450 K6 Motorcycle - $4200

1973 CB450 K6 Motorcycle - $3600(Broadview) UPDATE 4-29-19

View attachment 278632

1970 Honda CL450 - $3500

1970 Honda CL450 Scrambler - $3200 Update 4-29-19

View attachment 278634
Updates listed above. Interesting, the Bombers are not listed and the nicest and properly priced is gone too.

#28 · (Edited)
Well it seems that the craziness isn't only on the left coast of the US. I am in Central Ontario, Canada and I have been restoring for about a dozen years now and most of what I find to work on is on Kijiji or Auto Trader. Prices for anything from plain crap with no titles and really rough condition, to some silly cafe mess with a flat black spray can job and 'you'll never walk upright again after riding with this seat" mod. They are just as many crazy and plentiful sellers, dreamers and wishful thinkers in this area too.

It seems in the last 5 years there has been the big shift, where everyone has jumped on the bandwagon looking to make a buck. It is rare to find a properly priced bike up here these days, although they do come up from time to time, if your quick to act on the listing. Many of the sellers I find are not bike people and just opportunists who are looking to capitalize on this latest trend in making a buck.

Heck Monkey bikes are $1500 for junk and $3000+ for one in decent shape. Whats with that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.