Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rick is still allowed to participate so I'm hoping that my trip to the dark side will not be met with much dagger throwing. :)

My wife, Beth, surprised me with a nice, unexpected Christmas Gift. I don't have a clue where I'm going to put it. I literally don't have any room left in the garage.

The first thing to go will be the handlebars to be replaced by some low rise "Superbike" style bars similar to those on my 450. The front fend braces should be coming from the seller and I'll replace the rusted shocks and pitted headlight shell as soon as possible. This and the CL350 will be my daily riders.

I'm excited. Second to the H1 & H2 & A7 Kawasaki's, this was the street going 2 stroke that I wanted in High School. A Water Buffalo was also on my list but no way could I afford one of those.

I should a couple of short video clips in a little while.

The Surprise



The Hug



The Unload



The First Ride - It's 32 degrees outside and the ground is muddy and wet. It's 1/4 miles of gravel driveway to the street. My ears and hands almost fell off by the time I got back. :)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
a 500 Titan I assume? Great find man, enjoy to the fullest :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,203 Posts
32 degrees outside. :cool:

Mud (that requires liquid water) in December. :)

A wife that buys you motorcycles for Christmas. :D

Now I am jealous! :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
danWI said:
a 500 Titan I assume? Great find man, enjoy to the fullest :)
Ooops, I guess I forgot that part. Yes, it's a 1975 Suzuki T500 Titan. It was the last year before the GT500 was released. The GT 500 was updated with CDI ignition, front disc brake and the GT750 style tank but was otherwise unchanged. Throughout its 7 year run it changed little year from year. The earlier ones had a little more HP but terrible gas mileage so the carbs were downsized from 34mm to 32 which also cost it about 4 or 5 hp from a high of 49 to about 42 or 44. The model was produced from 1968 (when it was called a Cobra) until 1977. When new, it sold for about $895 and was considered, generously, as one of the Superbikes of the time. It was included in the various magazine "shootouts" of the day along the likes of, Kawasaki H1, Honda 750, Triumph Trident, BSA Triple and Norton Commando. It was always the slowest of the bunch but it's light weight and reasonable handling helped it score points. This was in the days before the GT550 and the GT750 so I think the magazines felt obligated to include the biggest Suzuki if they wanted to keep those Suzuki advertising dollars rolling in.

The Suzuki GT550 Triple made more horsepower and the GT750 was more comfortable. This model probably hung around longer than it should have.

In 1974 I took out my first bank loan (co-signed by my parents) and bought a 1970 Norton 750 Commando S. I got into a roll-on race with a T500 Cobra one day and was surprised how well the "little bike" hung in there with me. I sure wish I still had the Norton but, until then, this one will be fun. I'm looking forward to finishing the CB450, breaking it in, then getting somone to go ride either one of these while we do a little drag race for old times sake. My guess is the Suzuki will be just a hair quicker but not by much. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
great story man! glad you got the bike then.... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
MNellis said:
My guess is the Suzuki will be just a hair quicker but not by much. :)

Oh yeah ??!! (sputter, froth)

You ready to throw down with Bill's 450??
I ain't afeared of no 500 Suzuki. (now an RD350, that's different......)

Man, that thing is clean - Wifey done good, bubba.........
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tbpmusic said:
MNellis said:
My guess is the Suzuki will be just a hair quicker but not by much. :)

Oh yeah ??!! (sputter, froth)

You ready to throw down with Bill's 450??
I ain't afeared of no 500 Suzuki. (now an RD350, that's different......)

Man, that thing is clean - Wifey done good, bubba.........
Yea, she took care of me good this year. Here is a quick video of my fat ass braving the cold here in Eastern, IL today just before it started snowing.

[youtube:2xgwv4q8]TXyqNETpiik[/youtube:2xgwv4q8]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tbpmusic said:
Came up to Watseka for the holidays, huh??
No, Watseka is the big city, we're in Cissna Park. :)
 

·
Sensei
Joined
·
27,183 Posts
Excommunication is imminent!... QUICK, dispose of that bike by dropping it off in Virginia at a "secret" address.....




<<-------------- (secret address)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,926 Posts
tbpmusic said:
MNellis said:
My guess is the Suzuki will be just a hair quicker but not by much. :)

Oh yeah ??!! (sputter, froth)

You ready to throw down with Bill's 450??
I ain't afeared of no 500 Suzuki. (now an RD350, that's different......)

Man, that thing is clean - Wifey done good, bubba.........

This will never be forgotten. A challenge waiting to be accepted.. I want to be there to witness the battle of the old timers!!! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!! :lol:


P.S. Cool old Titan man... ;)

GB :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
This will never be forgotten. A challenge waiting to be accepted.. I want to be there to witness the battle of the old timers!!! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!! :lol:
GB :mrgreen:
I prefer "Geezers" or "Olde Fartes", thank you.

This thing just might happen someday, as Mike usually stops in at my place when he's in the area.
Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him pull up with Miss Suzy in the back of his big ol' Texas pickup and throw down the gauntlet.
Win or lose it's always good to see Mike.......
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tbpmusic said:
Bird76Mojo said:
This will never be forgotten. A challenge waiting to be accepted.. I want to be there to witness the battle of the old timers!!! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!! :lol:
GB :mrgreen:
I prefer "Geezers" or "Olde Fartes", thank you.

This thing just might happen someday, as Mike usually stops in at my place when he's in the area.
Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him pull up with Miss Suzy in the back of his big ol' Texas pickup and throw down the gauntlet.
Win or lose it's always good to see Mike.......
If I get to work on the Honda, maybe I could throw both of them in the back of the truck when I do my usual drive to Oshkosh next summer. We'll face off with two 450's first and, if necessary, we'll unload the big gun. :)

Actually, there is a chance I might be heading out to VA in the next 3 or 4 months. Nothings in stone but if I do, a stop into Steve's home town might be in order. I'd love to buy him dinner and a beverage of his choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
Beautiful bike !!!!
Awsome wife !!!

I think those bikes kept their superbike status because they handled so well. I suspect we'd see more of them if so many had not met their fate by way of road racing clubs. I think many were snapped up for vintage racing.

If I remember correctly they were the largest 2-stroke displacement of their day. I think the Engineers of the day didn't have much faith in a 500cc 2-stroke being able to throw away the heat and they'd simply melt down. Obviously Suzuki proved it could be done.

You have a beautiful example there......and no doubt a CB450/500 eater.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RicH2 said:
Beautiful bike !!!!
Awsome wife !!!

I think those bikes kept their superbike status because they handled so well. I suspect we'd see more of them if so many had not met their fate by way of road racing clubs. I think many were snapped up for vintage racing.

If I remember correctly they were the largest 2-stroke displacement of their day. I think the Engineers of the day didn't have much faith in a 500cc 2-stroke being able to throw away the heat and they'd simply melt down. Obviously Suzuki proved it could be done.

You have a beautiful example there......and no doubt a CB450/500 eater.
I think you're correct on all counts. They did get raced quite a bit but the early ones (until '74 I think) had a problem with insufficient crankcase oil. They only held 1200cc of oil and tended to mess up 4th and/or 5th gears do to lack of oil. The 1974 and later ones held 1400cc and didn't suffer that problem. There is a factory fix for the 1200cc problem if you come across an earlier one.

When they first came out in '68 there was speculation that an air cooled 2 stroke of that size wouldn't last but, transmission oil problems aside, they were very reliable motors. Ron Grant had good success with them in both England and somewhat in the U.S.

It certainly doesn't measure up to your beautiful H2, but with a little detail work and some paint it'll be a pleasure to ride around the back roads.

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,612 Posts
I wish I could put my RD400 on the start line and compare....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
leethal said:
I wish I could put my RD400 on the start line and compare....
It might be close with the RD400 since I think the HP was about the same. The RD weighed about 20% less though and sometimes less weight is better than more HP.

With Ring Dings much of their success in a drag race was being able to ride the thing properly. When I had my Norton there was a neighborhood guy who had an H1 with chambers who though he was pretty slick. If we were rolling I didn't stand much of a chance but from a dead start he might just as well bring his lunch cause it was going to be a long day. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
439 Posts
When you come up to Oshkosh WI this summer, drop me a line! I'll bring out my yamaha R5 350 and we'll do some riding. I live in the glacieral hills between Madison and WI Dells. For this midwest boy, the roads are challenging and relaxing :) danWI
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
At the risk of causing the 4-strokers to throw up their Xmas dinner.

Here's my 77 RD400.
ported, milled, F1 chambered, 34mm carbs, RZ intake, cross-over, 1/4 throttle.
Mohaland (sp?) shocks, progressive forks, clubmans, rear-sets.
My own custom graphics and paint job

61 hp and maybe 325 lbs
Very smooth power delivery, still very streetable.

Loads of fun....freaky fast....a real Dragon slayer !
takes an acute touch to keep the front end from pointing skyward.

 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top