Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a friend offer me a basket case of an '84 Ascot ("I blew a head gasket and took it apart, I just never got it back together, etc., etc.") for little to no money. I've never really had an affinity for those bikes, but is it worth taking on to try and flip it? I guess what I'm asking is if there's much of a demand for them if I can get it back in good running shape, but it certainly wouldn't be a museum quality restoration.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
These are pretty nice bikes. The issue with them is parts. The engine and frame is shared with the shadow. Wheels and brakes are different. Many of the engine parts that are shared with the Shadow are a little easier to get. They are not well supported in the aftermarket and Ascot unique parts can be hard to find. The Ascot is a Sporty version of the Shadow. I would like to have one.

·
Registered
475 Posts
No sell me the parts cheap:D All kidding aside I like the VT and the FT500,send us a picture to see what you have to start with.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
No sell me the parts cheap:D All kidding aside I like the VT and the FT500,send us a picture to see what you have to start with.
Dude, we know you like them, some even follow you home... my Dad had one of these in his last year or so, they are very cool and the VT500 is close to 50 hp IIRC. jml, does yours look like this one?

100_1634.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dude, we know you like them, some even follow you home... my Dad had one of these in his last year or so, they are very cool and the VT500 is close to 50 hp IIRC. jml, does yours look like this one?

View attachment 271672
I think it may have started that way, but certainly not currently. He did say he's got everything to get it back together except one side fairing and one of the mirrors is broken. I didn't realized they were a sibling to the Shadow, my first couple of bikes were Shadows and I have always had a soft spot for them.

48989482_768244550189767_5802375846232588288_n.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Certainly looks like it - I'd put it back together and if it were me, keep it. They are cool bikes and you hardly ever see one on the road

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yes save it,If the gas tank is good that's more rare than unicorn poop, they are fun bikes lots of smiles per mile.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Good criteria includes: wheels, forks, frame, engine, exhaust, tank. Seats can usually be found in the aftermarket.

But then I've started and finished projects with less.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I think you guys have convinced me. I swore I wasn't going to take in any more orphans until I got some out the door, but I probably shouldn't pass this one up. Stay tuned....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it's an '83 and not an '84, it's missing one of the side fairings, and one of the cylinders is pretty much toast, but it's got potential. The seat, wheels, tank, exhaust, and bodywork are all in good to very good shape (the tank in particular is dent-free and pretty much spotless on the inside). The engine has been sitting half-disassembled for 25 years, so in addition to that cylinder there's some rust on the valvetrain, but it doesn't look too bad. For $200 it could be worse.

DSC_0531.jpg DSC_0530.jpg

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Well, it's an '83 and not an '84, it's missing one of the side fairings, and one of the cylinders is pretty much toast, but it's got potential. The seat, wheels, tank, exhaust, and bodywork are all in good to very good shape (the tank in particular is dent-free and pretty much spotless on the inside). The engine has been sitting half-disassembled for 25 years, so in addition to that cylinder there's some rust on the valvetrain, but it doesn't look too bad. For $200 it could be worse.
Good decision, time to get to work :)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Not an ascot but close, here was my 1984 VT 500C my first real bike.
vt500c.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts