Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Unfortunately I was involved in an accident. A person failed to yield to me and made a direct collision into my left side and bike, it happened in an instant and I had no time to do anything to avoid it. I am overall okay; all I suffered was a broken leg and a bulged disk. I was wearing full gear (full faced helmet, armored jacket/pants, gloves, etc.), was flung over the bike, tumbled a bit, and pulled myself off the road. The broken leg was due to the car making direct impact to my leg so if it wasn't for that, I imagine I would have been sore but good.

Anyways to the point, the bike suffered some damage but not as bad as I thought. I am unaware of any engine damage as I have not personally seen the bike yet, but I was sent pictures. From what I could see, here is the damage (mainly front end):

- The speedometer is shot, the Hondamatic gauge looked to be okay
- The headlight and assembly as a whole is damaged, unknown to how the electronics are
- Both front turn signals are shot
- Right mirror is gone, the left is intact overall but the actual mirror part is gone
- Crash bar is damaged, on the left side where the car hit. It's crunched in pretty good and I'm not sure if the left engine case is damaged from it due to picture quality
- Left side cover is gone. No idea if it got picked up but since it was on the left side, possible it was shattered
- Center stand works but from some reason I didn't see the kickstand in the pictures, so maybe it's gone
- Tank has large dent on right side, unknown if it can be popped out
- The front wheel fender looks bent, from the picture that seems to be the case, hopefully the forks and wheel are not damaged/misaligned
- The brake lever/assembly is off and hanging, but the throttle and starter assembly is still attached. It looks like the small plate that hold the brake lever assembly is gone
- Right muffler is gone and the left muffler has large dent, but those are aftermarket and I know how to replace.
- Back right turn signal is shot/orange lens is busted

This is what I can see from the pictures, and like I said will be hopefully be looking at the bike personally soon so I can take stock of it. Considering I was going about 50mph when they turned into me the bike is in decent shape, goes to show that these older Hondas hold up well.

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Oh no. So sorry to hear that.
Good on you for having the proper gear.
Hope you find all your parts and get her back working!
Best regards
Mike

Reactions: ChefingBiker

·
Registered
459 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash but glad you're mostly OK. I just went through the same thing (t boned, broken right leg).

When you have a solid list of parts needed PM me and I will give you anything I have that you need.

Here's to a fast recovery!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
So glad you're going to be ok.

Reactions: ChefingBiker

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I'll echo the other posts, good on you for wearing full gear. Sometimes I'm out in jeans instead of armored pants though I know its a failure.
Being a Texan you probably log more miles than some of us, would you care to talk about your gear and how well it held up?

I'll see what parts I've got to share from your list and pm you when possible.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Wow - sorry to hear about it. It's our biggest worry, some knucklehead in a car not seeing a bike and t-boning them... a broken leg isn't a small injury, but hopefully that's the worst of it. Glad you were fully geared-up, it probably would have been a lot worse if not. Get well soon and get back in the saddle, brother

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Glad you're on the mend, take your time and get a good look at the bike. Make a list and post it. I'm pretty sure all the parts can be found easily thru members

·
Registered
539 Posts
Sorry that happened. Glad you're mostly ok. Get better and list what you need. I'm in the midst of a similar situation and I can't say enough good things about this group helping me put my bike back on the road.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for the support and kind words, I truly appreciate them. Got to take a look at the bike first hand today and it was pretty tough to see it damaged and dirty. Luckily it looked like the key components, namely the engine/tranny, seem to be untouched. I'll be getting a parts list built and will post on the thread. The majority of the damage is on the handlebars and instrumental/headlight assembly, so with some time and proper resources it should be repairable.

I'll echo the other posts, good on you for wearing full gear. Sometimes I'm out in jeans instead of armored pants though I know its a failure.
Being a Texan you probably log more miles than some of us, would you care to talk about your gear and how well it held up?

I'll see what parts I've got to share from your list and pm you when possible.
The gear I was wearing and how it held up:

- Helmet: HJC CS-R3 (full face). Easily saved me from brain and neck damage. Held up very well with my head hitting on the left side. I had a light system built onto the helmet and the controller was smashed, and there are some scrapes on the back/left side of the helmet. Held up very well.
- Alpinestars Oslo Drystar Gloves: Held up just fine, no damage to both my hands and gloves. Didn't do too much of sliding so the palms never got tested. Kept my hands nice and toasty the whole time.
- Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0 Jacket: Did it's job by protecting my upper body from injuries. It had a thermal liner with amour on the elbows, shoulders, and back. I have a bulged disk in my back due to the violet jerk when struck, so the jacket had no way to protect that. The textile material held up well and had very few scrapes.
- Tour Master Venture Pants: These did as much as they could to protect me, but no gear will prevent severe damage when being directly struck by something that is thousands of pound worth of metal. With that considered the pants held up well actually. These are textile pants with a thermal liner and amour on the knees and hips. The left pant left is damaged with some of the textile torn and slightly tattered, but nothing when straight through the legging. This is the pant leg that came into direct contact with the car.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Hopeing things work out for you, I'd charge their insurance company like a body shop would. NOS parts professionally installed. Hope your rates don't get jacked.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I had a Joe Rocket Atomic 4 a few years back. Nice hot weather protection, flowed as much air as a T-shirt while the bike was moving. But not very good for me below 75 degrees, I was riding 9 month seasons in New England though...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts