Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got sent over here from the SOHC4 board. Just picked up a CB360, my second bike.

It's a 250$ Craigslist bike. Mostly complete, minus side covers. I wish the sissy bar was taller :D

I got into the CB's with my 550. Bought it back in March, spent 6 months rebuilding from the frame up. Total and complete motor rebuild, wheels, complete electrical, suspension... all that stuff. Lived on the bike for 32 days travelling the mid-west, sleeping in a tent. You can read about it here:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=60285.0

So anyways I'm excited about this twin thing. I dig the 360, the no cam bearing thing is familiar to me having done a SOHC4. Plans are mild port & bore (if i can find a piston that'll work) and getting the suspension and electrical 100%, along with some later model Mukuni 34's.

Looking forward to getting to know ya'll.

trevor

[attachment=0:1c1fwbxa]DSCF3837.JPG[/attachment:1c1fwbxa]

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
Welcome.

Make sure you check out that slipper tensioner. They're usually shot.

I'm thinking of designing my own with modern materials.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Trevor,

I read your thread about your trip with your buddy. It was very cool, except for ther part about your buddy knocking your bike over. did you ever get your hands on a new tac? :lol:

Are you planning a trip with your 360, yet? Good luck with this build.

Matt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No plans for a trip on this little guy, just want something to zip around town on. Still got my eyes peeled for a new tach. Running an amber bulb just hanging out in the air right now where my front right indicator used to be.

When I registered I didn't see the introduction part of the forum, a mod can move this over there if they want.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Dirtbag said:
Welcome.

Make sure you check out that slipper tensioner. They're usually shot.

I'm thinking of designing my own with modern materials.
What's a "Slipper Tensioner" ???

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
I'm sure he means the camchain guide and camchain tensioners.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
http://home.comcast.net/~tbpmusic4/360_ ... Update.pdf

Here is the information about the slipper recall. If they break, they can lock up your back wheel and it could already be broke but not completely seperated. Anyways, they were the weak point of this motor and finding an upgraded (post-recall) version...well you would be more likely to find a Ferrari on the dollar menu at McDonald's. A non-upgraded version can be had (through extensive search anyways) and will last a long time if you adjust the cam chain tension and other routine maintenance frequently.

·
Registered
275 Posts
WELCOME!
All I can say is, you're going to find more help and support here than you can imagine!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I forgot to mention that you need to check your motor VIN first to see if it has a "colon :" stamped in it above and below the "dash -". If it does, you have the recalled version of the cam chain tensioner aka slipper. A lot weren't stamped during the recall though. I believe that the upgraded tensioner coils away from the chain at the ends while the old version curled toward the cam chain. Someone please correct me if this is wrong. This would make it easy to check without a full disassembly.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's also something that was fixed in later production runs, so a lack of a stamp doesn't always mean you have the bad tensioner. You'll need to check engine VIN against the recall .pdf. I believe late 75 and all 76 360s had the fix applied at factory.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yeah, these are the vin numbers of the 360's that had recalled tensioners:
CB360 & CB360G 1000001 to 1089642
CL360 1000001 to 1013033
Cb360T 2000001 to 2040600
CL360K1 2000001 to 2016592

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
The "E" indicates it's an engine serial number.......Most information is based on FRAME serials....It appears your engine should already have the updates...

·
Registered
13 Posts
360 cam tensioner problem -75 only????

I have heard about this problem before, but I'm relatively new to Hondas (picked up my 76 cb360t a few months back). I see that the pdf link above is dated 75. Was the problem fixed before 76 or should I worry about this as well?

Matt

1 - 20 of 20 Posts