Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know I am probably not starting off right on this forum and this is very long winded, promise all threads will not be this long! I should probably gone to the “Introduction Thread” first and then start logging my project. So let me first start by apologizing for jumping the gun. As you will see quickly, I seem to jump into everything with both feet including my new project.

I am from Ontario Canada and have just picked up for nothing a 1978 cb400t. To make long story short I went to look at a weed wacker a guy was getting rid of and ended up coming home with the bike that had been sitting for about 2 years. “Unbelievable!!!” Just a little background about myself, I know very little about the fine art of motorcycle repair or restoration, however as I said earlier I generally jump into everything with both feet.

So here is where I am at with the bike 1 week, the front calliper was ceased took it off and tried to separate the plates broke one of the pins that keeps the pads aligned. When looking at it I figure I should get the bike to go before I try to fix what makes it stop. Put the front breaks aside for now.

Hooked up a battery and tried to see if it would turn over, it tried (not seized) Good! Added gas to the tank and tried again bike still trying but not kicking in. Noticed gas spewing all over my driveway (wife pissed), from the overflows. Shut fuel line off stop gas, at least I know that works!

So it is at this point I got myself into trouble I think! My little brain said floats stuck? remove carbs, clean and reinstall? When I did I believe a screwed up a couple of things.
* There is a black rubber plug beside the jets; I didn’t remove them when spraying the carb cleaner, hence they seem like the have deteriorated? As well as other O rings? DO I NEED TO REPLACE THEM (black plugs) NOW AND WHAT DO THEY ACTUALLY DO?
* Also when I removed the jets they looked the same to me so I just dropped them into carb cleaning solution? When I went to put them back on I saw a slight difference in the size of hole? I also looked at a parts list and see they have different part numbers. I looked to see if I could see a marking or something to distinguish them, no luck. DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE WHICH AND IF SO ANY WAY OF DETERMINING WHAT GOES WHERE?
* One last point for this thread, Is it possible to put the floats in upside down, It seems that I have 1 bowl that does not seem to be getting gas. When I open the drain plug on the side I only get a couple drops of gas. When I open the other it seems to be flowing out quite well.

The long and short of it when I start the bike now it idles for a few seconds (a lot better then a few days ago progress!!), when I try to give it throttle it dies.

So my main question other than the above; what should be my next step remove carb and check floats again?

Thanks for you help and I look forward to conversing with all of you. Again I apologize for the long winded thread. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the group, it's a great place to get information and help. Here's a link to some info to help you get started.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3797

It does sound like you still have some fuel / carb issues and it is likely that, if you sprayed carb cleaner on any rubber parts, thay'll need to be replaced. The sundry little stuff comes with the carb kits you can find in various places (not cheap) or possibly piece by piece at your local cycle shop. I haven't seen the rubber plugs anywhere other than by buying a set of used carbs.

You sound like you could really benefit from a maintenance/repair manual (search the forum for this) and even some hands on help with your learning curve if you can find another motorcycle nut nearby. You'll find a lot of topics on this forum, some spent time searching for your subject may also prove useful.

Keep in touch and oh yeah, we really like pictures.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JT, for the reply will definitely look at getting a manual, I will also slow down a bit. in regards to the jets do you know how I can tell which is for the main jet?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
The main jet is the larger of the two and is the one below the metering rod. These bikes use several different sizes of jets depending on both the model (CB or CM) and the year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts