Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I found this site after two weeks of reading everything I can about the above mentioned bike. Here's the story if you want it....

"I've got an old Motorcycle out in the shed if you want it." Said a friend of mine who is trying to downsize. "Of course!" I replied as nonchallantly as I could.
Out in the shed I found a '79 Honda CM185 Twin packed with mud-dauber nests everywhere.

When I got her home she had saddle-boxes bolted on, a fully gorilla taped seat, stone chipped tank, hazy windshield, a few odd parts (side panels, etc.) in the saddlebags and the aforementioned mud-dauber wasp nests. She's been sitting there since 2013.

A trailer ride later and I started tearing into it in the garage. One by one I threw nearly a dozen old mud-dauber nests out in the driveway. The deepest was all the way at the air intake. A few particles had worked their way into the badly frozen carburetor. I'm a little concerned that some has been sucked into the engine after I foolishly gave it a few kickstarts while still in the shed.

The red tank will be stripped and repainted a deep hunter green, and the shredded black seat replaced with green leather (if I can find it).
Thus the name: The Green MudDauber.

I've got a lot of work to do.
  • Shiny new Carburetor in a box already
  • clean/repair/replace petcock.
  • New gas lines everywhere
  • New fuel filter
  • Vinegar the Gas Tank to cure mild rust, post treat with marvel mystery oil to prevent future rust.
  • Strip the tank
  • Paint the tank
  • Steel wool the surprisingly not terrible chrome fenders
  • Determine how deep to tear into the engine by sending a camera down the spark plug holes and in through the manifold
  • Obtain some green leather (pleather?) and stitch up a new seat/cover repairing/ replacing foam as needed.
  • consider pulling or taping/bagging the engine to repaint the (oddly not too bad) frame.
  • clean, inspect, & grease the chain
  • inspect rear sprocket
  • carefully check the tires for deterioration/ likely replace.
  • polish wheels incl. spokes.
  • investigate wiring, repair as needed.
  • locate or manufacture replacement battery box.
  • Check battery / replace or charge.
  • Change every fluid imaginable.
  • new rubber on the kickstarter
  • Double check lights.
  • Look into upgrading to LED lights.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Sounds like you've got a plan. One thing on polishing the spokes, they're probably the original zinc plated spokes. If so be very careful, the zinc plating is easily polished away leaving bare steel to rust. You might settle for merely cleaning them up with soap and a plastic bristle brush.

What do you think of metallic green sparkly vinyl?
https://www.midwestfabrics.com/vinyl/sparkle-metallic-vinyl/green-sparkle-metallic-vinyl.html

Oh sorry, that one says indoor use only.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Also try rubbing the chrome with a little aluminum foil before you get the steel wool out, or google it to see if it's worth trying in your situation

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Yup, aluminum is softer than chrome and won't scratch, but it oxidizes so easily it can actually steal oxygen atoms away from the rust pits on chrome. Add a few drops of gentle acid and rub it around with a loosely crumpled foil ball, cola contains enough phosphoric acid, vinegar contains enough acetic acid, lemon juice has citric acid... Neutralize with baking soda and water mix and rinse well before Chrome Polish or wax.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really appreciate this feedback guys. I've added almost all the suggestions above to my to do list. I hate that summer is waning; but at least I'll have time over winter to do all that needs done.
Would anyone be interested in a vlog of the process?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
A project log would be great to follow, that's what we all do here... not that big into video logs myself, many who love doing them aren't necessarily the type I want to see on the big screen :D but do what you like, it's an open forum with only a few basic rules

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll post here in the future, but for fun here's a quick look at it.
(youtube).

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Not bad, I'd only suggest better lighting and less clutter but those two can be a tall order. Your flow of info was good and you have good public speaking skills. To me that separates videos I won't watch from those I will.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts