Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
I've never had to mess with a kickstart before so forgive me if I'm just missing something.
My kick has worked great since I've had the bike. I was riding off road a bit yesterday and stalled the bike. I tried to kick start it in gear with the clutch pulled but it had extra tension on it and maybe would have lurched if I was on pavement, I'm only 120lbs so I decided to put it in neural and kick it like normal. When I tried to do this it didn't catch,I used electric start with a weak battery to get going and once I stopped again he kick engaged in neutral. I get the bike home and again it's not engaging. Start it electrically fine. Then once I put it away I checked and the kick had tension/would engage. I've read a bit about kicker failures but mine is intermittent. Any thoughts before I go digging?

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
Kick starter works through the clutch. If you pull the clutch lever in, you disengage the kick start. You need to be in neutral to kick start. If you try to kick start in gear, the bike may take off if it does start. Off road bikes generally have primary kick start, which would allow you to start in gear and clutch pulled in. Most road bikes require neutral for kick start, like the cb360.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand now that it won't kick in gear. But it was not engaging in neutral at all then after I start it on the battery and try it it would catch.

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
If you pull the clutch in it won't kick in nuetral. If it won't kick at all, then the kick mechanism needs repair. .. or maybe your clutch is slipping...might need adjustment

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts