Honda Twins banner

Intermittent headlight

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  DD23 
#1 ·
Just purchased a 1981 CM400a. Bike appears to be in fairly good condition with the main issue being it running rich and a the headlight sometimes working. To give more detail is it just sometimes turns on and works fine and other times it doesnt, my first guess would be a bad ground but im not sure about the wiring on bikes.

#8 ·
You can disassembly and clean. Fix anything that looks questionable and should be good. Besides that, it depends on the condition of the wiring on the bike. I rewired my whole bike because I started having light issues and would fix it and another problem would spring up a few weeks later. Started to get unreliable after awhile and I was worried I'd get stuck somewhere one day. When I did the new wiring I found a few bad grounds, cracked wires, and several questionable connections. If yours is like this then I would consider replacing with new wiring. Perhaps you'll be able to get leds which draw less power from the system.

#10 ·
2 Philips head type screws from the bottom. I say "type screws" because while they look like Philips they're actually JIS. Likely the screws are pretty well stuck in place so use an impact driver to break them loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.