Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

Hello. New(er) Member here... I've been re-working a '80 CM400T. The ignition key seems to have an intermittant contact... Turning the key "on" either powers up the cluster, or not. Seems to be getting worse. Can it be rebuilt or contacts cleaned?

Has anyone done this, and can you refer me to a thread? Search didn't show much, and I'm reluctant to tear it apart without some general ideas of what not to mess up. :D

Any info much appreciated. Thanks!

2G

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Some can be rebuilt, some, not so much..... You should be able to get a replacement switch through the Honda dealer, or JCWhitney , perhaps on ebay....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leethal:

Thanks, that's helpful. How did you get that switch unit apart? Is it a press fit, or something more involved... Mine doesn't look "user-servicable." :D

Very nice work on your 360 build. You've got skills, for certain.

Don

·
Registered
785 Posts
A new switch is rather expensive but, it is still available @ Honda.
1980 CM400T
LOCK SET
35010-413-010 (replaces 35010-413-000) 001 $105.93 $79.82

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, never mind. :D

I got the switch apart, and evidently it's had a far rougher life than I imagined. It appears there was a pretty good short in there at some point, as some of the platic bits were melted. The copper contacts were burned, too.

I was able to order a new unit at the dealership for $55, and it'll be here on Weds. Such a deal. Better to not have to mess with the old one.

Thanks!

Don

Fasterspider: I had both a '79 and '81 CBX back in the day. Loved them both, fun bikes.

·
Registered
785 Posts
2Gordons said:
Fasterspider: I had both a '79 and '81 CBX back in the day. Loved them both, fun bikes.
I just put a 0 mile 81 engine into my 79.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
What was the matter with the '79 engine?

·
Registered
785 Posts
MNellis said:
What was the matter with the '79 engine?
Most importantly, she is the wrong color and she is tired too.
Her gas mileage was way down from 35mpg down to 23-25mpg and she was using a quart of Amsoil every 500 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
In that case it probably smoked too.

·
Registered
785 Posts
MNellis said:
In that case it probably smoked too.
Surprizingly enough, she did not smoke a lot even though the oil was going back through my induction system into the combustion chambers. {And all over the back of it too}
I have an aftermarket alternator on my CBX engine, it is a Kawi ZX9 alternator that has been adapted to the CBX for charging at idle.
Anyway, the guy who machined the adaptor plate was a halfassed idiot and did not weld an oil deflector to the plate and my oil was going right up and out the crank case vent into my air box.
I just figured this out today after 3 years of oil leaking, it shows how friggin stupid I am which pisses me off because I thought I was a little bit smarter than a retard.
New adaptor on the left, old one on the right.
Look at the big giant deflector on the left plate and the absense of a deflector on the right plate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts