Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm doing my first valve adjustment on a new-to-me '71 CB450, and I have a question about the flat metal plate / baffle under the intake side camshaft cover / valve cover.

My understanding from looking at engine drawings is the proper order is:
Cylinder head --- Gasket --- Flat Metal Baffle --- Intake Valve Cover

My question is: Is any extra gasket or sealant material recommended between the Baffle and the Valve Cover? The drawings just show these two parts smashed together (steel on aluminum). I would think this would cause some leakage at that interface. What do you all recommend? My Clymer's manual says nothing about this.... My options are:
1) nothing
2) put an extra valve cover gasket there (I have 2 on-hand)
3) run a small amount of RTV around the interface

Which should I do?
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Originally there was a second gasket between the baffle plate and the valve cover that was more than just a perimeter gasket, having covered most of the baffle plate except for the crankcase pressure relief openings and the cam chain opening. Most aftermarket gasket sets now don't have it and many don't have enough valve cover gaskets to account for all 3 areas of need. I found one brand of gasket sets that includes one but I can't recall the name at the moment. I don't think the coverage internally is that important as the baffle plate has the appropriate relief holes in it for crankcase breathing, the biggest concern is sealing the two together. I wouldn't just put it together with sealant only, use a second valve cover gasket between the plate and valve cover

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
It's not listed in the parts data I have, either - I'm guessing Honda never thought the plate would come free from the cover. They don't show any gaskets on the intake side in my Bomber parts book.

I just cut one out from a sheet of medium-thick gasket material I got from an auto parts store. A fine-tip marker, scissors, and a razor knife, and some patience are all that are needed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts