Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put this stuff. fiber fix on quite a few things in the last 2 years.
found it on ebay for $2 from china :p
its rated for heat. the only thing I am worried about is fuel contact. but for $2 its worth a shot.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FiberFix-R...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
my boots leak so I plan to put a layer around the outside.
Being that its coming from china it will take 2-3weeks to get here.
I will post pics of install when I do it.
As well as results.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Not sure about the "hardens like steel" part. The boots are flexible to absorb vibration but I doubt your tape would interfere with that.

I have seen cracked/leaky insulators wrapped with electrical tape. Also saw sections of bicycle inner tube stretched over them.

When parts simply aren't available the old shade tree can be quite useful.

HOWEVER, the insulators for your 450E are listed as available on several sites. One of the common failure modes is separation of the rubber insulator from the metal flange and tape and inner tubes won't help with that.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Not worth the effort. Where they fail is so close to the flange, it's almost impossible to repair them. They need to be vulcanized to the metal flange to seal and at the same time be resistant to heat. Difficult repair. I agree with J-T. Get new boots. They are available .

Reactions: nigelrharris03

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mine are not failing at the flange.
Mine are leaking air through the stem of the boot. *lots of cracks all the way around the boot. causing leaking
Im on my 3rd set of aftermarket ones....
Currently they are wrapped in electrical tape to stop the leaks. But it does not last long. I have used this stuff to fix a radiator hose on the fly. and it held for 3 days. if you have not used it yet. its pretty much like jbweld tape.
This stuff will seal the tube of the boot from air leaking through.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts