Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my '65 CB-160 nears being street-ready, I need to obtain insurance in order to obtain a license plate. It seems my home/auto insurer doesn't want to deal with an "old" motorcycle.

Has anyone had good experience with insurers such as Hagerty, Geico, or Progressive--all who seem to market to motorcyclists?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Progressive sells me a one year basic liability only policy for $75. I don't carry collision or comprehensive due to the relatively low value of the bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have all of my Auto insurance through Allstate, but my Bike policy is with Progressive. They were the cheapest out of anyone I contacted. I am 31, no accidents and I pay right around 65$ for the Year..

·
Registered
681 Posts
I have Progressive for my 1978 CB400T2, age 60, fairly good driving record, no accidents for more than 25 years,
but live in an urban high risk area, Paterson, NJ. Liability only, no comprehensive $225 per year

ALSO, fyi, just looked into and found out about it- had a flat rear tire and did not want to go through the motions of repairs,
but was able to get it done (see another post of mine) ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE is only an extra $14 per year with nice coverage.

Definitely worth looking into.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Here, in Ontario,Canada, 356 for basic, legal to be on the road insurance for a year. Clear driving record, over 50 yrs driving cars, bikes, trucks, etc , 69 yr old. I have my van and house with same insurance that considers my bike a 'recreational' vehicle and gives me extra discounts for having them all with the same company. It makes me sick when I see less than 100/year in the states. But, we don't have the vehicle tax every year. I remember when I first started riding on the road, my insurance was under 50 for the year as a stand alone policy.

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
I am using Progressive in Northern NJ....Over 60 yo, liability only, 2 bikes....CB360t and NH750....$124 total for both...The insurance is $3 dollars cheaper than the plates (Reggy is $65 each for the bikes).

Get quotes.....You will find a strange range of amounts, pick the least expensive....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all the input!

Pennsylvania has certain requirements. Since posting have looked at Hagarty, Geico, and Progressive. At close to 70 with clean driving record with a lot of liability and uninsured motorist (wife's bad past experience with an under-insured one) coverage, I'm finding a range of from $130 to $170 annually. Not bad considering my car's insurance is twice that of my sailboat and five times these quotes.

Geico actually called me back with a knowledgeable person on the other end. I've gotten e-mails from each of them as well. But, they don't make it easy to do a straight comparison. Too bad my Nationwide agent of over forty years doesn't seem interested in getting back to me.

Now begins the process of determinine which is best. Project Log update soon to be posted with new pix.

Reactions: ctrider

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
You have the option of telling your Nationwide agent - of over 40 years - that, since you really want to have all your insurance policies to be with the same insurance broker and he is expressing ZERO insurance in selling you a motorcycle policy... That you're strongly considering canceling all your current policies with him.

He might give you a reply of, "I'll be sorry to see you leave." OtOH, his reply might be closer to, "Hold on, that's pretty drastic, let me see what I can do..."

Just like any other business, the insurance industry is all about the money. He might want to hang onto yours.

Then again, you'll probably pay less through Progressive or the like anyway.

Regards,

Reactions: peejay

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
As MDM said, shop around for a broker that will loop all your policies into one company. Insurance companies tend to give many extra discounts when you put all your insurance business solely with them. Worked for me. I saved hundreds the first year.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I wasn't thinking about it like that... But I could see where a (slightly) more expensive motorcycle policy with one's regular insurance broker could save one money overall if it caused them to receive a 10% "multi-policy discount" off the total bill.

Regards,

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I thought this might help some fellow riders out. I insure my '75 CB500T and '78 KZ750B for full coverage, roadside assistance and declared values of $2,500 on each for less than $115 annually all in with JC Taylor. Unlike some specialty insurers, there is no annual mileage limit. It does have to be stock or close and stored in a locked garage.

J.C. Taylor Insurance | Classics Cars | Antique Autos | Hot Rods

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try taking some online multiple quotes from insurance agent. Or either try some independent insurance companies to provide you with multiple quotes from various reputed resources.

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you haven't looked yet, I can shamelessly plug Hagerty. My 360 is insured to $2000 with $0 deductible comp and collision for $100 a year, and that includes $750 worth of spare parts should they get stolen. You've gotta have a primary vehicle, but I would think we all do. My brother's put a claim through them for $7000 on a rear ending in a 1956 Chevy Task Force and they were awesome to work with.

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
State Farm for me. Roadside assistance/trailering bike is included at no extra cost, which was a huge plus for me. No complications for having older motorcycles.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts