Honda Twins banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I bought some used tail lights off ebay for a decent price and everything seems to be alright with them i just need a little help installing the wires. The lights I ordered were taken from a 1980 cm400T and my motorcycle is a 1980 cm400E so I figured they'd be compatible.

My problem is basically I had matched all of the color coded wires and got some success with the left blinker and the center brake light but the right blinker has yet to shine. I'm fairly sure it's the way I'm wiring that causing the issue but it could be the lights themselves...any tips? I could use all the help I can get :) ! Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Try switching the indicator bulbs. You might just have one bad bulb.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Multimeters and Test Lights are your friends. Use them. Check for voltage at the connection points and then at the fixture. If you've got the appropriate voltages, then it's a bulb problem. If you don't get the appropriate voltages, then it's a wiring issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try switching the indicator bulbs. You might just have one bad bulb.

Multimeters and Test Lights are your friends. Use them. Check for voltage at the connection points and then at the fixture. If you've got the appropriate voltages, then it's a bulb problem. If you don't get the appropriate voltages, then it's a wiring issue.
Alright, so I know all the lightbulbs work and I think the problem is a grounding issue. The dark green cable coming from the bike and the one from the tail lights need to be connected some how but they're just terminals. When I took off the old one I don't remember there being a fuse connecting them, but i could be wrong..

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Alright, so I know all the lightbulbs work and I think the problem is a grounding issue. The dark green cable coming from the bike and the one from the tail lights need to be connected some how but they're just terminals. When I took off the old one I don't remember there being a fuse connecting them, but i could be wrong..
Should have a male and female bullet type connection between the ends of the ground wires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
parts-femaleslipon-12-10ga-insulated-1_4spade-950.jpg

i don't think i have the bullet connectors. this is what the ends of the green cables look like. can you show me what the connector is supposed to look like?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I'll have to look at the C in the garage tomorrow, can't remember if the harness and taillight are still on it.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
the terminal pictured above looks to be a single female spade connector...the double female bullet connector looks almost identical and accepts two male bullet connectors

post a pic of the actual terminals you have on your bike and tail light and we can tell you what type you have and or need

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IMG_0863.JPG IMG_0864.JPG IMG_0865.JPG IMG_0866.JPG

adding photos first prolly would have helped haha. This is basically what I got. I went to advanced auto parts and they didn't seem to have anything that could remedy it from what I could tell...

·
Registered
7 Posts
View attachment 48429 View attachment 48430 View attachment 48431 View attachment 48432

adding photos first prolly would have helped haha. This is basically what I got. I went to advanced auto parts and they didn't seem to have anything that could remedy it from what I could tell...
the black wire with the light blue collar should be the positive for your right blinker, you need to run a meter to those terminals (positive to the light blue wire, negative to any one of the ground green wires). then turn on your ignition and turn the control to make it blink on the right side, if you're not getting 12v - 0v - 12v - 0v, etc, one of those are not connected.

Is your left one flashing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nope when do either turn signal it turns off Then back on when switched back
wait, what the heck did you just say?

can you rephrase?

are you saying that when you connect the orange or blue collared black wire to the positive of one of the signals and then the green to the negative, the signal turns on and not flash? if so, your flasher might be stuck on, need new flasher. Otherwise, i'm not sure what you are describing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wait, what the heck did you just say?

can you rephrase?

are you saying that when you connect the orange or blue collared black wire to the positive of one of the signals and then the green to the negative, the signal turns on and not flash? if so, your flasher might be stuck on, need new flasher. Otherwise, i'm not sure what you are describing.
sorry! i posted that from my phone i wasn't really paying attention! i'm not too good at explaining this, i barely know anything about this kind of stuff, but basically all of the wires are plugged up right except the cable that is shown in the pictures (dark green). The lights are not coming on nor blinking now. they did shine when i first set up everything, but were dim. this is what has lead me to believe there is a grounding issue caused by the lack of connection between the dark green cables.

any of this making sense?

·
Sensei
27,170 Posts
Correct..... ALL the dark green wires must complete to ground......
That would be at least one from the taillight, and one from each of the turn signals must connect to the main harness green wires....
Green/yellow is the brakelight power, Brown is the "running" taillight power.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
sorry! i posted that from my phone i wasn't really paying attention! i'm not too good at explaining this, i barely know anything about this kind of stuff, but basically all of the wires are plugged up right except the cable that is shown in the pictures (dark green). The lights are not coming on nor blinking now. they did shine when i first set up everything, but were dim. this is what has lead me to believe there is a grounding issue caused by the lack of connection between the dark green cables.

any of this making sense?
yeah bro, you need to connect all the greens to those lights for them to power on. How much volt does your battery have?

make sure you got plenty of juice, clean off all the connections, connect them and try again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dude, you need to check the pre-load settings on your shocks. You've got serious lathing gouges in the center and right\center track on that tire from bottoming out.
i think the reason it looks like that is because the fender is bent. the guy who had it before me gunned it out of a ditch and basically did a high wheelie.

i think the reason it's not coming on now like it did before is because i took the head lights apart.

sorry that some of this information is coming sporadically i'm trying to do a couple of things at once..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
alright so i got new info. I put everything back together and tested check the power in each of the connection and they all have power, but only the headlamp and the left

front turn signal works...also when I put the headlamp back together I was left with a brown cable with a female connection but no brown male connector....any thoughts?

Thank ya'll for the help so far btw. I"m not the best at explaining technical things..

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
That's a spare wire for optional use. It was intended for a DRL in the headlight originally I think but US models were required to have the headlight on full time so it's not used.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts