Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finishing my top end rebuild and I am having a very hard time reinstalling the tach side cover onto the cam base. You have to slide the camshaft through it and I can't seem to raise the cam high enough to make it happen. I more or less have the points end cover on.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Thanks

PS: bike is a 1972 cb350k4

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
It sounds like you are doing the assembly in the wrong order.... (I assume your camchain is what is "holding" the cam down) ... Is the tensioner assembly still off the engine?... did you put the gear/chain on the cam before it was in the journals?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm following the Clymer manual. I have the chain tensioner off, the chain is on the sprocket, the cam is in, the rocker arms are in (It would seem easier to me to take the rocker arms out, and put it together, but of course that is impossible!)

I don't know what you mean by the journals, but what I did was put the chain on the sprocket, then installed the cam base gasket and cam housing, then put the shaft through from the RH side and bolted the cam to the sprocket with the chain on it.

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
I always leave the cam chain sprocket unbolted from the cam and the cam chain tensioner off, and everything else loose when installing the cam end caps. then torque everything once all the components are properly fitted.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I think you have the sequence wrong - install the cam first, then put the chain on the sprocket and lift it onto the cam and bolt down.......you just about have to remove the tensioner to get enough slack to do this.

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
yes that's right, from smbevma's post I assumed he had already installed the cam with the exception of the end caps...so from where he appears to be, my suggestion is to remove the bolts from the cam sprocket to the cam, loosen the tensioner bolts all the way (or just remove completely) then the endcaps should slide in no problem.
it's a honda; so if something isn't fitting properly you're doing it wrong. don't force anything and figure out what you've missed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts