Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips/tricks for installing the pistons into the head for a CB350? I don't have those clamps I see in videos to compress the rings, but I read because the cylinder is tapered that might not be an issue?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Try to set the engine so both pistons are at the same height when you're putting the cylinders on - I give mine a healthy coat of assembly lube to help them slide in, and then just wiggle, check that the rings aren't getting pushed out, wiggle, check rings, wiggle, on and on until floomp, they slide on in.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
and you can use a pair of vise grips to clamp onto one of the cylinder studs to hold the cylinders up until you get them started in. using your fingers to gently work them into the taper is the safest way, IMHO... it keeps you from putting too much pressure on the rings with a screwdriver or something else that might lead to cracking a ring if you force it too hard. and don't forget to space the ring gaps

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
No need for fancy expensive clamps. I used fingers to start off with getting the cylinders in place. Then I used chopsticks to compress the rings one by one until the cylinders slid right in...fingers were too fat...

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will get a friend to assist and I have popsical sticks that should do the job.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are these o rings supposed to sit flush in the grove?
orings.jpg

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I order them from Honda would they be better sized?

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
YES - Honda OEM O-Rings fit right in 1st time every time

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ordering them tomorrow these aftermarket ones dont fit they keep expanding and its wack a mole to get it in.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With the front of the engine being where the starter is, how should the pistons be oriented? Would this arrow be on the front end (starter) side or at the back end of the engine and is it the same for both?
pistons2.jpg

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
The arrow points to the front. The bigger valve relief in the piston crown, is for the intake valve, smaller one is for the exhaust valve.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the pistons on and clips. Now I have to wait for my cylinder O rings to arrive.
pistons3.jpg pistons4.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,931 Posts
Correction to the last POST.
Yes - the Arrow Point to the FRONT of the bike.
But the Larger Relief is for the Exhaust Value not the Intake.

I believe you have your pistons backwards in the Photo.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Correction to the last POST.
Yes - the Arrow Point to the FRONT of the bike.
But the Larger Relief is for the Exhaust Value not the Intake.

I believe you have your pistons backwards in the Photo.
The arrows point to the front of the bike but the larger sections are at the rear, I can't have it both ways :(

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
the larger valve is the intake. the arrow is an additional indicator. think of the valve head size with respect to piston-to-valve clearance, the larger relief in the piston for the larger valve. arrow pointing forward, larger relief on intake side

1 - 20 of 26 Posts