Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in customizing my 1982 CB450T all at once, I seem to have caused a problem as I am now not quite sure as to where to start diagnosing my problem so that I can fix it.

Basically, I have replaced the speedo and tach and the turn indicators. Also replaced the rear brake light / running light with a correct 3 wire light. Turn indicators are all 2 wire type, so I will either have running lights or signals, but not both. If I just leave the wires that provide the current for the front running lights disconnected, I expect that the lights should still function as turn indicators, correct? All new lights are LED's, in case that matters at all. See my build thread for specifics.

So here is the real problem. My backlight on the speedo and tach work, along with my headlight but none of the other signal lights work. Where should I start in diagnosing this? Would faulty wiring of my tach or speedo (which does have indicator lights for neutral, brights, turn signal, ad oil pressure) have caused the rest of the lights to not work? What catastrophic failure might have resulted in this situation?

thanks in advance for help!

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
LED lights require an electronic flasher, not the old conventional type can.
If the speedo indicator light for the TS's is a single bulb then you have to add diodes to isolate it side to side. There's a sticky about that.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I will either have running lights or signals, but not both. If I just leave the wires that provide the current for the front running lights disconnected
In my state, I'm pretty sure that'd cause you to fail the inspection and get a "must fix within three days" sticker; you could then remove it, but you might get pulled over for that (flip a coin), or for not having front running lights (maybe somewhat more likely?). Is CA the same?

Regards,

Reactions: SWindhager

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LED lights require an electronic flasher, not the old conventional type can.
If the speedo indicator light for the TS's is a single bulb then you have to add diodes to isolate it side to side. There's a sticky about that.
Thanks very helpful. It does explain why the flashers are not blinking, but shouldn't they at least come on and stay on? When I hook up the turn signals to the wires for the running lights, they do light up. Seems like if the issue was the electronic flasher then they would turn on but not flash. Same question for the rear light. Shouldn't it at least turn on at the running light level and turn brighter when I hit the brakes? I will review the stickies for these issues. thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my state, I'm pretty sure that'd cause you to fail the inspection and get a "must fix within three days" sticker; you could then remove it, but you might get pulled over for that (flip a coin), or for not having front running lights (maybe somewhat more likely?). Is CA the same?
I'm not sure if this is the same or not -- I have never had a motorcycle get inspected that was not in stock condition, so the issue never came up. I just found a reference to a "blinker-genie" which looks like it might make these 2 wire LED lights into running lights and blinkers -- but first I need to get them to blink (though at this point I will settle for them staying on to verify the wiring is working)!

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
This might be a dumb question, but have you hooked the lights in question directly to a 12v hot and ground source to ensure that they actually work? They probably do, but...

Regards,

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This might be a dumb question, but have you hooked the lights in question directly to a 12v hot and ground source to ensure that they actually work? They probably do, but...
I did not test all 4, but the front 2 work when I hook them up to the running lights wire, so I know those do work when there is curent to them, but nothing when I hook them up to the flasher lights.

NOTE: I have not yet tried a VOM primarily because I really don't understand how to use one. :( Still, this might be an occasion to learn. :)

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The front light units are running and turn signals. The rear are turn signal only unless front units are used instead.
The wiring is Orange= left turn. Lt. Blue= right turn. Orange w/White tracer = left run light. Lt. Blue w/White tracer = right run light.
The units ground through the stalk mounting in front and a ground wire in the rear. These are connected to the solid Green wire in the main harness.
The factory units have black wires with small colored plastic sleeves denoting the correct color coding. Aftermarket ones typically have a Red and a Black wire of which either could be run or turn.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, the Electronic flasher did fix it partially. Lights now light up on the correct side when I use the indicator, but don't blink yet. I have some diodes on back order at SuperbrightLEDs that should fix that problem, assuming I am understanding Flugtechnik's instructions correctly.

I have my break light working now as well. :D For the record, if anyone one else orders this cat's eye LED brake light from Dime City Cycles, the correct wiring is:

Honda Wires -----> New light
Brown -----> Grey
Green with yellow stripe ----> Red
Green (Ground) ----> Black

OK, so now the next challenge I am having is getting my rear break light switch spring correctly installed so that it is not always activated. Likely will take a lot more playing with than I have the patience for today. I was not impressed with the guidance from the shop manual which merely says: "Note the location of the brake light switch spring." If anyone has a good photo of how this is supposed to be connected, I would appreciate it. Doesn't it just fit in the same hole with the main brake return spring?

·
Banned
426 Posts
OK, the Electronic flasher did fix it partially. Lights now light up on the correct side when I use the indicator, but don't blink yet. I have some diodes on back order at SuperbrightLEDs that should fix that problem, assuming I am understanding Flugtechnik's instructions correctly.

I have my break light working now as well. :D For the record, if anyone one else orders this cat's eye LED brake light from Dime City Cycles, the correct wiring is:

Honda Wires -----> New light
Brown -----> Grey
Green with yellow stripe ----> Red
Green (Ground) ----> Black

OK, so now the next challenge I am having is getting my rear break light switch spring correctly installed so that it is not always activated. Likely will take a lot more playing with than I have the patience for today. I was not impressed with the guidance from the shop manual which merely says: "Note the location of the brake light switch spring." If anyone has a good photo of how this is supposed to be connected, I would appreciate it. Doesn't it just fit in the same hole with the main brake return spring?
No, there should be a Small Plate on the Rear brake pedal with a small hole the same or similar diameter of the hole in the end of the Brake light signal unit's post. From what I see the return spring hooks on BEHIND the signal spring (which Should go through the hole)

honda-cb450t-hawk-1982-usa-brake-pedalchange-pedal_bighu0188f0c19_e192.gif

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still having trouble with the blinkers

OK, I really can't figure out what I am doing wrong here. My flashers still don't flash, and now my instrument flash indicator is also not working.

Trying to follow the guidance from Flugtechnik as well as LDR, 66sprint and others, I purchased a Motorcycle Diode Kit from SuperbrightLEDs.com.
IMG_0591.JPG

I found a write up on a different board pretty helpful -- they seemed to be using this diode kit. This diagram,
kury_diode_schematic.jpg
though nearly identical to what Flugtechnik had done, turned out to help me fully understand what I needed to do. Or so I thought.

I installed the light blue wire to one of the red wires, and the orange wire to the other red wire, and then took the blue wire after the diode and connected it to what would have been the light blue wire if I had stock speedo (but I don't, so it went to the yellow/black wire on the DCC speedo that I have) and then took what would have been my orange wire (if stock -- for me it was the yellow wire) from the instrument cluster and connected it to a ground.

Not sure what the extra black wire in the kit is for. Perhaps if you need some extra length in order to ground the other wire?

Anyway, feeling happy with myself, I also went on to install the Blinker Genie kit that I had purchased from CustomLED.com and then tested it out. Anyway, I had followed all those instructions and made the mistake of soldering it all together. Why is this a mistake, because this did not fix the blinkers and actually as it adversely affected my rear running light, it made the problem worse!

The LED's did indeed stay on all the time (my blinkers had become running lights) and I could turn one side off by selecting the opposite turn signal, but my tail light had ceased to work, and now the indicator on the speedo no longer worked.

Thinking that the issue might have been my blinker gene mod, I cut those wires out and went back to the straight blinker no running lights set up and still nothing blinks and the indicator on the speedo still does not come on.

Suggestions on what I have done wrong?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, well that was interesting. The LED Flasher relay that I had purchased was this one from SuperbrightLEDs.com. I had mistakenly assumed that the grey wire on the flasher should be connected to the grey wire on my bike, and that the black wire on the flasher should be hooked to the black wire on the bike. Well it turns out if I reverse this, the blinkers work. YEA! :p Unfortunately my tail running light also flashes. :confused: Any guess on how to solve this one?

Still don't have the "blinker genie" working to provide running lights up front, but I may go to an alternative option there anyway.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Tail light is a separate circuit, Brown w/White wire. You may have a ground problem, Green, that's feeding back thru the tail light

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Jim. I will try grounding the taillight to a separate bolt and see if that solves it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts