Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the disappointment of finding the crankshaft broken ,the new crank is on its way from Adelaide thanks to 450roo. While I was trying to source a crank I bought a complete motor with little information except that it has compression. I removed valvue covers lubricated valve springs.Removed spark plugs and lubricated pistons... took off cam chain tensioner and turned motor over at rotor . Looks good,I am going to install it .I am going to clean filter , new oil and lubricate top of motor through valve covers before I start her up .. Iknow there is many trains of thought around what to do with a second hand motor but I am hoping for the best ... would appreciate any advice or criticism (constructive) . I carn't do anything until special tool for oil filter arrives
Kanga

·
Registered
293 Posts
You can get the oil filter off using a bolt from the clutch side case no? If they're like the sohc 360, the oil filter comes right out with little difficulty.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
The only special tool I use to open the oil filter for cleaning is the snap ring pliers; I find I can clean it just fine without taking the lock nut and rotor out.

I would take the cam chain tensioner assembly off, and make sure the parts move smoothly - sometime a previous owner has over-tightened the locking bolt, making a burr that keeps it from sliding under the spring pressure.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
A good way to clean the filter cup is to just remove the vane. Cut up some plastic from a milk carton or something and make a little drainage trough that sits under the cup. The wipe out what you can and blast it with some carb cleaner and you're good to go. I would remove the clutch cover and make sure there aren't any bits of tensioner wheels or damper rings or who knows what else waiting to plug the filter screen on the bottom of the pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.