Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been awhile since I've posted anything. Life got crazy. Glad to be back! For reference. I have a '78 CB400 type 1.

So my throttle cable broke(no biggie). I went to replace it and ended up drilling out screws because they were stripped. In that process I decided that I am tired of the kill switch/brake light switch , brake lever combo and want to simplify this area and look. So, purchased a red button kill switch that attaches to bar, a mountable brake light switch, and a new throttle control. First thing first ( what is the best way to wire up the new kill switch or am I just getting myself into a mess? I will have to figure out the brake light switch next since but having trouble finding a brake lever that has a brake light switch mounting area. Any thought on that?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Connect your new kill switch to the two wires connected to your original kill switch. The kill switches for CDI bikes are open in the run position and closed in the kill (off) positions. If your new kill switch was made for a points type ignition it will be closed in the run position and open in the kill positions and it will work opposite of normal.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Since it's a horn switch it would be an open circuit until pushed, exactly what's needed for the CDI. You'll have to hold until the engine stops completely, any rotation wil fire the ignition again.
The CB/CL/SL 350's had brake switches in the lever assembly in the later years, early ones had the switch in the cable

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My type 1 has the brake switch in the brake handle(a round pin activated switch) and I am having trouble finding an aftermarket brake handle that will allow me to move the switch over to it.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
My type 1 has the brake switch in the brake handle(a round pin activated switch) and I am having trouble finding an aftermarket brake handle that will allow me to move the switch over to it.
Not sure I understand the question, explain

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Longdistancerider, i think i found a brake lever that will work. When the brake is pressed it activates the brake light because it allows the "pin" to be released. I was having trouble finding a brake lever that had a place to install this pin mechanism so that it would work the same way as the old lever set up that has the kill switch assembly attached. i found one on eBay that says it has the switch hole and pics show it also. i will just have to replace the long lever with the shorty i already have.

Adam

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
You're referring to the perch, that mounts to the handle bars. Look at SL350/175, I think the CM400E

1 - 8 of 8 Posts