Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the process of building a new engine. Well, I'm not building anything yet but I am collecting parts I need for the build. I will not be racing it but it will be a faster engine that sees higher RPM's more frequently.

So now am considering changing the standard oil pump for an Eaton pump. I do have a few questions about this conversion and I am hoping that some of you are able to help me with this based on real experience (not just opinions).

1. Would you say that an Eaton pump is absolutely necessary on a road bike? I also have a reconditioned standard oil pump from Cappellini that I could use. But I think I like the comfort of knowing the oil pump is functioning perfectly, whatever the RPM. Just for my peace of mind. I have noticed that a lot of racers do not even use an Eaton pump, even on pretty fast bikes with a Megacycle X5 cam etc. If those bikes typically survive on the track for a long time then the Eaton pump could be overkill.
  2. Cappellini sells two types of kits. One with a narrow primary drive included that should make installing it easier: CAPPELLINIMOTO.IT | PRODUCT. The other kit is CAPPELLINIMOTO.IT | PRODUCT. What is the difference in the install procedure between these kits? Is there some detailed information available online where I can see what needs to be machined? I think that for on-road usage the kit without the primary drive is the preferable option because with that kit you do not remove the cush drive in the clutch basket. Would that be correct?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I did some digging around and already found out some stuff about the oil pump myself...

Oil pump kit #69A can be fitted when you currently have a primary drive (the sprocket behind the clutch and the sprocket on the crank) with two rows of teeth. From what I know and what I've encountered, most CB's have that kind of setup. With kit #69A you remove the primary gear from your clutch bucket, remove one of the sprockets and put a spacer in its place. Kit #77 is for when you have a primary gear with one row of teeth. From what I understand this is more common on CL's and CB250K's but I am not entirely sure of that. In kit #77 a complete new narrow primary drive (the large sprocket and the small sprocket) are included.

So for the installation, there really is no big difference between the kits. You just need the one or the other, based on what you start with.

563878131_tp.jpg 563878114_tp.jpg
799266852_tp.jpg

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting... Standard oil pump, lightened and balanced crank, bronze cam bearings, fatter cylinder studs and no sump plate in the engine

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
If you're running moderate high-performance parts on the street and not exposing the engine to race-level use - continuous high revs, lots of redline shifts lap after lap - you are usually fine with the stock oil pump and even without an oil cooler. I'm running 11.6:1 pistons and MegaCycle 120-40 cams with stock oil pump and no cooler, and my bike rode around Barber Motorsports Park for a week last year in the near 90° or better heat every day and had no issues dealing with it. Don't get me wrong - I'd love to have a better oil pump and a cooler too, but the cost and machine work required for the 450 bottom end are far more expensive than I want to put into an engine I already have about $2500 in. I ran a 450 at the drag strip for over 2 years with the same setup in the early '70s and there were no oil coolers or upgraded oil pumps available for sale back then, and it survived run after run, often 2 nights a week over the course of those years and I never had a failure of any sort

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did some digging around and already found out some stuff about the oil pump myself...

Oil pump kit #69A can be fitted when you currently have a primary drive (the sprocket behind the clutch and the sprocket on the crank) with two rows of teeth. From what I know and what I've encountered, most CB's have that kind of setup. With kit #69A you remove the primary gear from your clutch bucket, remove one of the sprockets and put a spacer in its place. Kit #77 is for when you have a primary gear with one row of teeth. From what I understand this is more common on CL's and CB250K's but I am not entirely sure of that. In kit #77 a complete new narrow primary drive (the large sprocket and the small sprocket) are included.

So for the installation, there really is no big difference between the kits. You just need the one or the other, based on what you start with.

View attachment 274268 View attachment 274270
View attachment 274272
I had been researching these kits.do you have any more information concerning this? How did the install go? Any other pics? I liked the look of the oil lines running up to the side of the cam where the speedo gear was. Really thinking about one of the Cap kits.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I had been researching these kits.do you have any more information concerning this? How did the install go? Any other pics? I liked the look of the oil lines running up to the side of the cam where the speedo gear was. Really thinking about one of the Cap kits.
You might just try doing an internet search for Cappellini parts, they've been making stuff like that for Hondas for a long time. I think you're referring to the tach drive, not speedo.

However, since you're new here, this is what you should do first
Critical - READ BEFORE YOUR FIRST POST

1 - 7 of 7 Posts