Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase my first bike and I think I found a pretty good CB350 on Craigslist. I'll be hiring a mechanic to go with me to check out the bike and point out any issues, but I was wondering what you think about the bike or what price I should be looking to pay for it if not the one listed? If everything goes well I should be frequenting this forum pretty soon. Link is below, thanks!

https://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1972-honda-cbmiles/6216600208.html

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Price is quite high if it were in my neighborhood but I suspect it's reasonable in yours. Folks more familiar with your market will be along to comment. If it's as good as he says you're gonna love it.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Well, the first picture looked like it came with a mailbox on the luggage rack! Seriously, it looks decent enough from the pictures and if he posts a video (whether or not it really is a cold start) we'll get to hear it as well. Looks like someone tried to move the bike strongly by lifting up on the back of the seat... seems to be reasonably complete and not in bad shape overall. 6800 miles is low as well, if accurate. The centerstand looks as if someone was too vigorous in putting it up on the stand or the pivot tube is bent, one of the two - the rear tire is touching the pavement and the stand looks to be leaning a bit much on the stops. just a few observations... price is about right for Florida

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha ancientdad you're right about the mailbox! I hadn't even noticed that. I'll take a closer look at the centerstand and ask them about it when I see the bike in person. I know the resolution isn't great for the pictures with the tires, but is there any indication as to their age? And should I ask for a lower price if it's over a certain mileage or year?

J-T, I hope its as good as he says!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Are there any other 350s that you've seen in your area that are priced similarly? See if you can get a reference point. I was looking at 350s in greater Boston for a while and I feel like I saw some good ready to run options for around $1600-2400. Remember though, you might save $500 by waiting and looking around...but if you really want it, if there aren't many other CB 350s around, that's only $500 extra for instant gratification on many years of fun. If you don't mind waiting, I would see if it runs and if he could do it for $1800. You're bound to have issues on the old bike at some point, right? As for tires, I can't make them out, but great tires are an excellent safety investment for any vehicle. I'd plan on eventually changing them out if they look worn. It's one of those things that could save your life. I'm new to bikes as well, but hopefully that helps...best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Haha ancientdad you're right about the mailbox! I hadn't even noticed that. I'll take a closer look at the centerstand and ask them about it when I see the bike in person. I know the resolution isn't great for the pictures with the tires, but is there any indication as to their age? And should I ask for a lower price if it's over a certain mileage or year?
If the mileage is as quoted in the ad, you still can't verify that it is indeed original because speedos can be changed easily and it could very well be from a different 350 (but look to be sure the style and design of the speedo matches the tach, at least, as one way to determine if it might be original). can't tell anything about thew tires from the pics but the front appears to be of the ribbed tread design that was common back then. As for the centerstand - the current owner may not have had anything to do with that based on the age of the bike, but overzealous people sometimes get too aggressive when putting a bike on the centerstand and repeated hard "landings" against the stops can bend the stand or the pivot tube, so that's a point to make that will help you justify offering less due to the proper repair it will take to get it right. For a point of reference (albeit in my area), I bought my '73 CL450K5 last year for $1900, down from the asking price of $2200 and it had 14k (what I believe to be) original miles on it. Remember to pull the dipstick and be sure to not only look at the cleanliness of the oil but also smell it for gas intrusion. If the PO left the petcock on all the time it could easily have gas in the oil and diluted oil will cause top end engine damage if run that way much at all - and many people are not aware of the problem and the potential damage it can cause (damaged/ruined cam, rocker arms and cam bearings at the very least). If the engine sounds clattery and has a lot of metallic mechanical noises, anything is possible and would be another point to make. Also, if the exhaust is loud (aftermarket mufflers) you would point out that it is very costly to restore the bike back to OEM exhaust (hundreds of dollars at best). At least in my area, there are a lot of 350s out there so it might be best to take a patient approach depending on what all you discover in person. In any event, I'd start lower than his price, even if only a few hundred

1 - 6 of 6 Posts