Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,
so, after i finished cleaning and rebuilding the carbs on the 1974 cb200, i tried to sync them and get the idle and mix set just right, but had some trouble and eventually took it to a honda mechanic. he synced the carbs with vacuum gauges and got them set to idle and mix specifications. the problem now is that there's some initial hesitation or lack of throttle response (causing sputtering or, worse, stalling) at 0-"just open" throttle. brought it back to the shop and the mechanic felt it, too. he said the issue could be resolved by maybe getting the float heights checked and adjusted (he thought they might be set to low). but he wanted 2 hours of labor to take the carbs off and check the floats. since i can do that myself, i took it as it is and left. but i have a few related questions: once i pull the carbs and adjust the float heights, will it disrupt the synchronization of the carbs or the idle and mixture? i don't want to disrupt any of the work that the mechanic did. i'm not going to remove anything other than the floats, so i won't touch the idle or mix screws, etc....

also, on a bike like this one, is it OK to raise the idle speed a bit when the bike is cold and then drop it back down when the bike is operating temperature? or, again, will that disrupt the balance of the carbs?

thanks!

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
You would be better off running at half choke until it's fully warmed up....
Touching the throttle cables will "un-do' the sync...... You should be able to re-set floats with the carbs on the bike.... Just pop-off the bowl bails and go from there....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok--so avoid touching the throttle cables (and the carb-top adjusters). makes sense...and so does running half-choke rather than adjusting the idle screws.

as for setting the float height while the carbs are on the bike...i'm with you up to popping off the bowls :D
i have typically taken the carbs off and tipped them just enough to get the needle valve to "close" and then taken my measurement. i've always known there were other ways, but i'm not familiar with exactly what they call for (especially ways of measuring the floats still on the bike). if you get a chance to fill in the "go from there" part, that would be much appreciated!

thanks

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
You'll need to make a "credit card" gauge similar to the one discussed for the 450's, but to fit your carb's required measurements......If the needle and seat shut-off the fuel just as the gauge touches in the notches, you're gold...... Read the 450 carb discussion and it will make sense....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts