Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I'm Gary and like the title says I inherited my Dad's old Honda when he passed about 3 years ago from cancer. Its a 1968 CD175K0 Red/ silver fenders. I have a close attachment to this bike as he bought it new in 69', about a year before I was born. He rode it to work up in Cleveland as his main transpo for a long time. As soon as I was old enough that my Mom wouldn't have a fit over it, he would put me up on the tank and ride me around the yard. I don't remember too much of that but I have some pictures my Mom took a couple of times of us riding around. It means a lot to me to be able to get this thing road worthy again. I know its not some big fancy Harley or cafe racer but I think its cool. I think he felt the same or he wouldnt have hung onto it for 50 years.
Anyways, I'm sure I'll be dropping some questions here and there. Its been hit and miss finding parts for this thing. Glad to see there are forums for them.

· Registered
1,711 Posts
Hi Gary and welcome.

As above pictures are great.

This bike has great sentimental value, more than mere monetery value and when ready, will give you real joy when you ride it. You may even sence a "passenger" on the back from time to time.

Since it's been in hibernation for a while, it probably suffered. Machinery in hibernation allow stuff to "stick" like cables, brakes, clutches and VALVES !

Untill you 100 percent know that valves are not stuck, assume they are.

A stuck valve, open usually, can convert a viable engine to scrap in one stroke, so be warned !

If the engine has been turned over several times, say once a month, during its hibernation, that is good.

There are several threads on here about this subject.

I cannot locate it but there is a very good thread about engine rebirth by the great LDR, and others, which you should read. I am sure admin can guide you to that thread.

Also, as an example, but for a different bike, but lessons still apply, read "members intro's, "hello from newbie in Los Angeles""
And her later thread " sohc twins " 1980 cm400t making a come back" ".

You will find CMSNL.com and partzilla helpfull.

You have a manual ?

So, do your research, take your time, be methodical, hare and tourtoiuse, but most of all, Enjoy.

Dd23

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Gary and welcome.

As above pictures are great.

This bike has great sentimental value, more than mere monetery value and when ready, will give you real joy when you ride it. You may even sence a "passenger" on the back from time to time.

Since it's been in hibernation for a while, it probably suffered. Machinery in hibernation allow stuff to "stick" like cables, brakes, clutches and VALVES !

Untill you 100 percent know that valves are not stuck, assume they are.

A stuck valve, open usually, can convert a viable engine to scrap in one stroke, so be warned !

If the engine has been turned over several times, say once a month, during its hibernation, that is good.

There are several threads on here about this subject.

I cannot locate it but there is a very good thread about engine rebirth by the great LDR, and others, which you should read. I am sure admin can guide you to that thread.

Also, as an example, but for a different bike, but lessons still apply, read "members intro's, "hello from newbie in Los Angeles""
And her later thread " sohc twins " 1980 cm400t making a come back" ".

You will find CMSNL.com and partzilla helpfull.

You have a manual ?

So, do your research, take your time, be methodical, hare and tourtoiuse, but most of all, Enjoy.

Dd23
Thanks. Info much appriciated.I'll see about getting some pictures posted up.

· Registered
1,711 Posts
Cool, do your research, see CMSNL exploded views, info and actual pictures of actual parts.

Print off the exploded views, even if you have a manual.

Have you done any work on the bikes engine yet ?

As said, assume valves are stuck untill you are 100 percent sure that they are not.

Dd23

1 - 6 of 6 Posts