Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have brought my 1976 CB500T back to life after sitting for a number of years. Almost a complete rewire and a little of this and that and it runs fairly well. I had noticed some difficulty in using the electric starter, it was engaging but not spinning the motor over on an intermittent basics. I really diagnosed the problem when the points cover was off hearing the starter turn over and seeing no movement on the points themselves. Of course after getting it fired and warmed up using the kicker the starter seems more prone to operate normally. I am presuming it is the starter clutch even before pulling the cover to check if the chain will spin in both directions. I have watched a couple of videos on the replacement procedure and read a number of threads. I have ordered the flywheel/rotor 16 mm puller bolt, and looking for a good source on the replacement kit. Any suggestions or input from you guys who have been there and done this before, am I putting the cart before the horse with my diagnosis, and if nothing else wish me luck.........

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
I'd pull the stator and clean everything really well and check for wear, if it sat as long as it has it may just be gummed up. Make sure you tighten the screws holding the clutch to the back of the stator and restake them and or glue them in as they are known to fall out on 500ts/450s.

Ebay, 4into1.com, common motor collective, etc. all had the rebuild kits last time I went looking for one.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Frogman

Kit is on the way and interestingly enough when I checked the cover this afternoon there is a lot of black silicone and the screws weren't all that tight. Someone has been there before me, so who knows what I will find. I haven't been able to locate just an individual gasket so looks like it will be time to get out the Exacto knife and DIY the thing, certainly won't be the first time..........

·
Registered
582 Posts
If your starter motor is making noise, but your engine isn't turning over, and you don't hear any rattling, then it's probably all 3 of your caps and rollers jammed/stuck in. I had 1 stuck in so my engine would turn over occasionally. I also had a loose starting chain so it rattled a lot. I could have saved myself a lot of time if I would have done this:

take the left side cover off and run the starter motor. if it doesn't turn motor over at all, replace all three caps, springs, and rollers. Don't skip the rollers. They have all these parts on 4into1.com.

Once you install that, check and make sure it works 100% of the time. See if the chain slaps anything inside the case. If so then replace it too.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rotor/flywheel Issue

The last item I needed, the flywheel puller, arrived today so it came down. No problems at all getting everything apart and the new springs, caps, and rollers installed. When I went to do reassembly I did notice the woodruff key was somewhat deformed and looking at the internal slot in the flywheel you could also see some damage, like the key had moved and left the slot somewhat deformed. Using some small files I got the slot walls straight and purchased a new slightly oversize key which I shaped for as tight of a fit as possible. It is backup, minus the cover and stator, but the starter does work. I turned it over for quite a length of time and no slippage. The bike is a 76 CB500T and upon looking around, a used flywheel/rotor don't seem to be in abundance. Does anyone know what years the 450 and 500 were interchangeable? I would feel better replacing the potential future problem if a good used unit could be located at a decent price. Still doing some searches and research, any additional input would be greatly appreciated......

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
the rotor is exactly the same on all CB450 and CB500T models.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Different Part Numbers

the rotor is exactly the same on all CB450 and CB500T models.
Upon researching I am finding different part numbers for the CB500T rotor from 75 and 76, the only two years of production after the 450 was put to death in 1974. I must admit they do look the same but damned if all of them aren't on high side..........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts