Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
alright, so I got this several months ago, while the price is not cheap, but the whole outside look was so nice, so I just decide to put the engine down and see how is it inside. And maybe get some necessary part before put everything back together. this is my project is all about.

So, this is how it is look when I got it the first time, and like before i tear it down apart.

DSC_4167.JPG
got in 700km away from the city I stay, so have to kept it in my friend's garage before bring it back home with courier service

IMG_20160613_235225-edit.jpg
looks shiny from the outside

IMG_20160613_235527-edit.jpg
looks very nice as well from this side. you will never able to judge how it is in the inside.

okay, the story more to come...

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
8AD, nice bike!. what are your plans for it? It looks like it should be a nice runner 'as is'.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Selamat dating. Cantik, motornya. Aku bekerja di Indonesia dan susah temukan CB200 seperti kondisi itu.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful bike. Looks brand new.
thank you, really beautiful inside, but getting less when i started to disassemble bit by bit

8AD, nice bike!. what are your plans for it? It looks like it should be a nice runner 'as is'.
thx. so the plan just restore to it (almost) original state bit by bit :)

Very nice CB200 !
thanks

Selamat dating. Cantik, motornya. Aku bekerja di Indonesia dan susah temukan CB200 seperti kondisi itu.
wah betul kah? anda bicara bahasa Indonesia baik sekali. Anda di mana? koleksi sepeda motor nya banyak dan bagus-bagus. awesome!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
so the first attention to her were carbs and the petcock. I know the tank was contain bit of water as well. There's a local housemaid in my friend's place that I asked him to wash the bike once a while, but i forgot that the bike is missing the airbox/air filter. You know what happened next.

Carb was drained from all oil and water of course, petcock was clogged with rusts. The aim at this stage is to drive the bike a bit to the courier service so they can wrap and ship her to home.

IMG-20160820-WA0012.jpg
a bit of test ride (pardon for the unsafety act): left cylinder is crippled, coughing and felt bit colder than the right one. definitely something is not right. carb idle and synced were not there.

DSC_0233.JPG
bring to the local workshop to drain the carb (open the bowl, check the main jet, etc), drain the tank, and just clean the petcock a bit. the result: rusts and water of course were there.

DSC_0234.JPG
clean the fuel filter a bit, just to make sure it can run and goes to the courier service. as you see the insolator of intake manifold were on the carb side.

DSC_0236.JPG
managed to reach the courier service, wrapped and ready to be shipped to home, for more homework.

·
Registered
755 Posts
wah betul kah? anda bicara bahasa Indonesia baik sekali. Anda di mana? koleksi sepeda motor nya banyak dan bagus-bagus. awesome!
Memang... Saat ini di Phoenix, AZ, tapi di Indonesia tinggal di Salatiga, Bandung, JKT, Sumba, dan juga Timor-Leste. Aku pernah ke Surabaya beberapa kali, dan memantau pilpres 2004 di Madura. Waktu saya ke Sumba, mengirim Honda Tiger lewat kantor pos dari Salatiga. Lucu, kan?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice bike
thx, fender_fella

Memang... Saat ini di Phoenix, AZ, tapi di Indonesia tinggal di Salatiga, Bandung, JKT, Sumba, dan juga Timor-Leste. Aku pernah ke Surabaya beberapa kali, dan memantau pilpres 2004 di Madura. Waktu saya ke Sumba, mengirim Honda Tiger lewat kantor pos dari Salatiga. Lucu, kan?
apa? betul? sepertinya pekerjaan anda menyenangkan ketika di indonesia. dan Sekarang setelah sekian tahun, anda masih bisa bicara bahasa Indonesia? sungguh hebat. Wow, mengirim Honda Tiger ke sumba dari Salatiga? itu hillarious. Sumba is great place to visit, especially with bike! Saya belum pernah ke sumba, tapi anda memberi saya ide. nice one!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so, the bike managed to arrive in my home town, the courier service pool is 20km away from home, but i realized no way i can drive her to home, with limited things I have nearby (it was in the afternoon and limited shop open) i managed to grabbed scissors and fuel line, and this is what i came up with on emergency:

DSC_0247.JPG
this how I finally came up with, bought 2 mineral water, plunge and connect the fuel line, and create small hole on the other side to let the air in, survived drove it back home. but i realised, the left bottle was less a bit, while the right one almost up. Align with it, the left cylinder felt much cooler compared to the right one. Well, planning to looked at it soon. But so far, I was felt glad that it is home.

DSC_0302.JPG
carb set (2 sets) came along with clymer's. took 2 months from UK to my mailing address :p

disassemble the petcock, drain the tank, and got all this parts almost reach their lifetime. managed to order the screen filter and the cup bowl, the existing cup bowl is cracking. so soaking to some cleaning solvent will work, any idea what DIY liquid will do to clean this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
so stripping process has begun, my idea to strip down this bike, of course to learn new thing, and basically to start jotting down list things to buy so I can renew what has been missing/need to be replaced. here just a bit of the process, wish me luck. (avoiding long shopping list, hopefully). :p

20170103_124543 stripping down.jpg
kindda heavy to put off the 2 cylinders off from the frame, I think i hurt my back. Which one is better side to get this off? left or right?

20170103_151922 top open.jpg
top end off, valve cover off, examining...

20170104_112820 valve condition.jpg
head looks normal. except that I found the previous owner didn't put any gasket on it. :sad: maybe it hurt the part? or just lost the compression? Sadly, i didn't perform compression test before. darn.

20170104_112848 piston and modiefied tensioner.jpg
showing the modified cam tensioner created by the previous owner. Amazing tweak to the apparatus. full story here: cam tensioner cb200 modfied

20170104_130317 valve.jpg
valves, looks normal. need to measure and be cleaned.

20170104_130506 removing valvle spring.jpg
valve spring removal, this is new tool in the box. lovely.

20170109_134708 cylinder.jpg
cylinders. don't have micrometer or cylinder bore gauge. gotta work on this later, or just maybe bring it to the machinist.

chain tensioner bolt platform.jpg
seating bolt on the cam chain guide (one with roller). the previous owner trimmed it a bit, because the pistons are in 61mm diameter now. that make the cylinder on the 240cc more or less.

20170104_114451 chain guide - tensioner modified.jpg 20170104_125216 cam chain guide - tensioner.jpg
so this is how it looks like, the chain guide roller and the tensioner were modified. gotta replace this with the original stock i think

as for now, most of the lists are about:
some part on the cranks showing over torqued from the bolt that bit too long than the thread (cracking)
dowel pins
new bolts
cam chain tensioner and its bolt
oil seals
oil pump parts
esthetic (soda blasting, cleaning, etc)

·
Premium Member
2,992 Posts
Hadn't realised that this was the bike with the 'modified' cam chain tensioner, I assumed that you'd bought a second bike in what appears to be excellent condition.

·
Registered
191 Posts
go in / out from the throttle side. don't forget to unpin the rear brake pedal tho and if you can drop the footpegs off, take it in at a 30 degree angle tilted forward

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hadn't realised that this was the bike with the 'modified' cam chain tensioner, I assumed that you'd bought a second bike in what appears to be excellent condition.
exactly. so sad I don't have the xray vision.. lol :D

CB 200's are a giant pain in the butt to get in or out of the frame, from either side. Though I usually do it from rider's left..
but i notice that the right side, the right lower frame tube is lower than the left side, but should leaf the footpeg and brake pedal off as well.

go in / out from the throttle side. don't forget to unpin the rear brake pedal tho and if you can drop the footpegs off, take it in at a 30 degree angle tilted forward
tilted downward (bike leaning right) or upward (leaning left)?

·
Registered
191 Posts
exactly. so sad I don't have the xray vision.. lol :D

but i notice that the right side, the right lower frame tube is lower than the left side, but should leaf the footpeg and brake pedal off as well.

tilted downward (bike leaning right) or upward (leaning left)?
tilt forward to clear the back but be careful of exhaust studs they like to damage down tube paint

bike on centre stand

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
so i am getting all the engine part disassembled now. but since the beginning, I notice that the previous owner said something about the ignition, it is not using the platina/contact point anymore, and using the CDI system (i also notice there is CDI box under the battery). But when I opened the stator dynamo, I didn't see the trigger. so as I went deeper, here's what they did:

stator side looks normal, no modification

the trigger placed near the right crank weight, and the previous owner implanted small source coil on the crank weight

20170112_135717 cdi trigger lower crankcase copy.jpg
trigger positioning, it is bolted on the wall

20170112_140304 cdi trigger lower crank case .jpg
the trigger bolted in the firing position. I couldn't tell the degree. but it is bolted on the wall with Yellow circles, and the cable went thru small hole drilled on the other side (red circle), no leak, since it is glued.

some other CDI modification that I notice, they did it on the contact point side, on the camshaft, normally usually on the stator side (easy to measure the angle/degree).

the CDI itself, is Chinese product with non-programmable CDI, and it is for the twin unison engine. When this bike was still in use, I experience no problem with ignition system. so questions:
1. Which angle / degree for the ignition timing before TDC (BTDC)? any good reference?
2. I think I am gonna stay with CDI instead, but I am planning to tweak the way it is, maybe I am gonna install on the stator side, or maybe in the camshaft side. Anyone have good experience on this?

thanks guys, you are all been very helpful.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts