Honda Twins banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on this $50 Thread on DoTheTon.com forum, there was a guy who was upset with the dim bulbs lighting up his speedo and tach. He found this LED set on eBay that is a direct replacement for these bulbs and was please with the results. Here is my summary of findings:

I bought a set of 5 LED bulbs from Hong Kong. They are a direct replacement of the bulbs that are originally in the gauges. They consist of 1 bright forward bulb and 4 smaller ones that shoot off to the sides.

This picture shows the size in reference to a stock bulb in mine.

These easily plop right in for a CB360, the dude said he had minor fitment issues with a CB450, but I had no trouble.

Anyway here are the results. The backlight is 5x brighter and has this really cool blue-ing effect that reminds me of my job (Cherenkov effect radiation).

In total I spent about $20 for the bulbs and swapping them out took literally 10 minutes max. Shipping from HK took exactly 7 days.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
They look good, I like the Blue effect.

One of the problems I see for the various bikes is getting the rubber light out. I've got several tachs and speedo's laying around and tried to pull the light out only to have some of the rubber pieces fall apart. I'd hate to start pulling out working bulbs and tear them up in the process. I think I'll wait until the bulbs burn out before taking the chance.

They do look good though.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
HerrDeacon said:
How many bulbs are usually in a speedo or tach?
4 bulbs in the clocks and 3 in the centre display.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do see what you mean Mike. I guess I got lucky, all the rubber light "mounts" I had looked intact.

Lee, one thing I need to mention about the center console is that these LEDs can be used ONLY for neutral and hi-beam indicators. They CANNOT be used for the turn signal indicator. The LED will only flash in one direction but not the other due to the way LEDs work.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm glad you like them. On the 450s, well mine at least, the indicator lights are in the tachometer. I guess the holes for the bulbs are a little smaller. We also only have one bulb to illuminate the gauge. Yours seem to be a lot brighter. To get mine to fit in the smaller holes, I just had to squeeze the side firing bulbs in a little (very carefully) until they fit. You should never have to replace these bulbs again! If you don't mind the "cooler" color of the bulbs, I highly recommend this mod.

Squeezing the bulb

Comparison Shot

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Flugtechnik said:
I'm glad you like them. On the 450s, well mine at least, the indicator lights are in the tachometer. I guess the holes for the bulbs are a little smaller. We also only have one bulb to illuminate the gauge.
That depends on what K-model your instruments are.......
K1-K3 (450's that is) have all the indicators in the tach/speedo, so there are a bunch.
Generally they will fall apart when you try to pull them out, they're pretty old.
I have a box of instruments lying about, and can generally scavenge from them.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Good find, Krukster- I'm gonna get on this for the project bike. LED's can make the charging system a little less marginal.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank Flugtechnik, he is the one that did all the searching and hard work, I just reaped the benefits from his original posting :cool:

BTW Flugtechnik, thanks for the comparison picture, it really shows the improvement.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So I can't just buy LED turn signal bulbs and stick them in?? I have to do a little modding to get them to work properly on my 360? I want to have all LEDs to give the electrical system a break.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Anyone try that with red LEDs instead? If so, can you post a picture? I started my motorcycle in the dark and the tachometer doesn't light up, but I don't want any kind of blue light staring at my shoddy eyeballs after dark - especially bright blue light. I've got enough trouble seeing at night.

If y'all ever hear that someone got arrested because he was caught lying prone on the shoulder, shooting out the "ultra-bright blue aftermarket headlights" on cars as they went by, well... Be a good bet he'll be a member here, lol.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Hi,

Yes, blue and/or bright white or do I have to see blueish white are not nice to the eyes in the dark.
Redisch is, like the original bulbs. A good replacement are amber, or even better, warm white led's.
But at the time that this topic started the choice was thin, and warm white didn't exist in those packages.

Jensen

1 - 18 of 18 Posts